"Cook Island Soujourn" Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands by catalysta

Cook Islands Travel Guide: 447 reviews and 956 photos

Aroa Lagoon

The Cook Islands are a New Zealand protectorate, and the natives preserve their pristine beaches & lagoons with that NZ Green ethic. Tourism is their main industry, but they don't allow any of the huge resorts you'll see elsewhere, and "no building may be taller than the tallest palm tree" (figure 3 stories).

These people are intensely proud of their islands, and they welcome visitors whole-heartedly. While I was there, Canada 3000 went under, leaving me potentially stranded. Shoulda stayed!!! Unfortunately, New Zealand Air came to my rescue (sigh).

My All-Time Favorite Internet Cafe

It never ceases to amaze me that I can send email postcards to friends up on the tundra of Alaska, while I'm sipping mai-tais on an island in the South Pacific.

Cool.

Dancing Trees

...echoing the movements of the native dancers...

• Pros:User-friendly, beautiful, what's not to love?
  • Cons:I'm not there now. (Whaa!)
  • In a nutshell:It's still in my dreams...
  • Last visit to Cook Islands: Oct 2001
  • Intro Updated Oct 21, 2004

• Mara_2's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2007 at 2:54 AM

WOW!!! I just know that I would love visiting these fantastic islands! Great tips and great photos! Thanks!

• Jul 20, 2007 at 7:32 PM

I agree ...this is one of the delights of Rarotonga...............a beautiful setting as well.........and what lovely people....they also have a luxury villa over the road on the beach...........now that is where I am staying next time....it is beautifull

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2007 at 8:24 AM

Great travel page. Greetings :)

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2006 at 6:20 PM

Happy New Years!! Ah The Cook Island are but a ditant memory as I look at our frozen backyard! All the best in 2007 and great travel adventures!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2006 at 3:07 PM

OK - I get it now Wendy! Stunning islands. I'll get to work on that CB school! Can't that hard to get licensed....

• Seabiscuit's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2006 at 4:15 AM

Wendy- Brilliant pages on the Cook Islands. When I stop drooling, I'll be back. Jeff-

• kid-keith's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 4:08 AM

i keep looking at these damn Islands, looks like heaven i`ll have to go there one day.

• ScubaCat's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2006 at 7:30 PM

Oh, I forgot about that Lobster Diving! We gonna get the big ones, lol!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2006 at 3:19 PM

Nice photos in your travelogues and tips. It must have been a long flight from Alaska, but it sounds like it was really worth it.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2006 at 12:51 PM

Aitutaki Moon is just great - will return to see more (good tips, too) Ciao, Carol

catalysta

“Toto, we're not in Alaska anymore!”

Badges & Stats in Cook Islands

Have you been to Cook Islands?

Latest Activity in Cook Islands