"Laidback & Lovely Town on Hectic Treasure Coast" Stuart by catalysta

Stuart Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 77 photos

Born on a bed of flowers...

So the Old Town sign proclaims, & I am inclined to believe it!
Stuart is a lovely little town near Port St. Lucie, on the Atlantic seaboard of Florida known as the Treasure Coast. It’s a comfortable easygoing place, with none of the messy traffic of Daytona, or the glitzy glamour of West Palm Beach, and thankfully it’s not a major Spring Break destination either!

After The Storms

I’m afraid my photos of Stuart won’t do it justice, since I was visiting & clicking away in early October 2004, a mere couple of weeks after two devastating hurricanes in a row made landfall here (see my Frances & Jeanne travelogues on this page).
But the cleanup has come a long way, and the shellshocked residents are picking up and going on with their lives.

• Pros:Pretty & relaxed town
  • Cons:Of course it's expensive, it's on the Treasure Coast!
  • In a nutshell:Not everyone's destination, but I will be back
  • Last visit to Stuart: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 24, 2004

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2006 at 11:12 PM

Lovely orchids :~)

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2005 at 10:47 PM

I've always wondered why people here make their homes so fragile despite many hurricanes. Good that they introduced new building codes now - I just hope it does leave more freedom to architects - hope not all houses will look like that one at Ocean Beach.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2005 at 3:46 AM

I've got a good buddy here, I'll have to check out the market next time I'm up there. Thanks for the tips.

• Michael_D's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2005 at 5:14 AM

In my inland empire the total destruction to my home was luckily one TV antannae I was going to replace anyway;-) Stuart sounds nice, Fla is full of great places to live and relaxed people;-) Mike

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2004 at 6:32 PM

aah fishing and more warmth :-) Florida is beautiful but that's to bad what happens after every hurricane. In my pages when we were in Puerto Vallarta, it was just two weeks after a horrible hurricane as well, and their amazing Malacon was all destroyed!!

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 11:30 PM

Ray is so right. Thanks for showing VTers those images, especially people such as myself with no experience of hurricanes (I'm happy to stay that way too!) A Bientot mah belle chaton.

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 6:12 PM

The power of Mother Nature is amazing. We really only borrow our spot in this world. Let's see...a sailfish is a bargin and a marlin is a Dodge? Whew, survived the lair (Scorpio myself).

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 10:30 AM

Jeeeeesh!!!!! Those storms were so powerful!!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 6:09 AM

Amazing travelogue..a documentary of incredible destruction. Honest commentary, delightful tips, and fantastic photographs.

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2004 at 2:26 PM

Who DOESN'T know the difference between a sailfish and a marlin?! (wink wink). Interesting tidbit about the median age for Stuart...I figured it was older than that. Great photos!!!!

catalysta

“Toto, we're not in Alaska anymore!”

Badges & Stats in Stuart