"Retreat to Sanibel" Top 5 Page for this destination Sanibel Island by catalysta

Sanibel Island Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 382 photos

A different world just a short hop away...

9/21/04 post-Charley update
Sanibel is open again for business, per the locals, just check with the particular places you intended to visit - good news!
From details given in local newspapers, damage was more cosmetic than serious for many resort & hotels.
***********************
Head out Summerlin Road from Ft. Myers, and just follow the signs across the causeway to find Sanibel & Captiva Islands waiting for you.
Much of Sanibel is privately owned, with small cottages each worth a small fortune, and accommodations that vary from old 50's style cottages to plush resorts.

Birding On The Gulf Coast

The Lee Islands of Florida's Gulf Coast have some of the best birding in North America. And the best spotting spot of all is right on Sanibel Island, the J. N. "Ding" Darling Wildlife Refuge.
For more about this wonderful sanctuary, see my "Must See" tips.

• Pros:Lovely island a stone's throw from Ft. Myers, with silky sand beaches
  • Cons:overdeveloped and spendy
  • In a nutshell:BUT it DOES have the J.N. Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge!
  • Last visit to Sanibel Island: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2004

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Great pages. I've always wanted to visit ever since I first heard my husband sing the wonderful song about Sanibel...I finally will in Feb!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2006 at 3:42 PM

Sanibel Island looks like an idyllic place--the beautiful beaches, unique wildlife and colorful sunsets must draw people from far and wide...

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2006 at 11:02 PM

Just superb photography W... really well done :~)

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2006 at 2:54 PM

This is my kind of place. It has been on my list for years. Awesome sunset pictures. What a tragic story about the landscaper.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2006 at 3:47 PM

I missed the wildlife refuge on my trip to Sanibel; which just means now I have an excuse to go again!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2005 at 11:24 AM

That refuge could make a birder out of me! Great tips!

• ferdnbean's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 10:18 PM

Another winning effort Wendy. Your photos look very good to me! Stay warm...think Florida Sunshine and sunsets. Ferd

• Michael_D's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2005 at 5:20 AM

Years ago I skittered down the coast from Tampa avoiding some bad weather and moored here for 3 nights. Definitely the overbuilt high rent district but definitely a unique place...Mike

• Dec 16, 2004 at 2:33 PM

Hey, Wendy, thanks for the plug your Sanibel page. Looking forward to building more pages and sharing more photos from paradise.

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2004 at 10:13 AM

Just loved your Sanibel material! Isn't the wildlife there great? You know, I would have never thought to include something about the gators (in terms of a warning, that is)...your two tips there were absolutely CHILLING....shiver.

catalysta

“Toto, we're not in Alaska anymore!”

Badges & Stats in Sanibel Island

Have you been to Sanibel Island?

Latest Activity in Sanibel Island