"Blue Mesas, Rainbow Rocks" Top 5 Page for this destination Petrified Forest National Park by catalysta

The Story Of Time, Written In The Earth

In some of the most barren and arid lands of North America, once huge forests flourished. Ancient crocodiles and strange amphibious monsters prowled through the swamplands.
Now the remains of magnificent trees roll around the desert floor, transmuted by time and the waters in which they lay for eons, waters rich with silica. Forever beautiful, rainbow colored chunks of rock they will remain, now exposed to the relentless sun.

• Pros:Fascinating, easy for a self-guided tour
  • Cons:DRY!!! Bring lots of water, don't walk without it
  • In a nutshell:An excellent small park, laid out well for a day trip
  • Last visit to Petrified Forest National Park: May 2004
  • Intro Updated May 13, 2004

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Thanks for your well written pages. We are planning a trip through the area this winter, and your tips have given me some information to help me plan.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2007 at 1:12 PM

Loved the hoodoo's and the petrified rock house built by the Anasazi...very ingenious! Enjoyed your tips very much, Wendy. This looks like it would be a great place to visit...

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2007 at 11:24 PM

Taking rocks home - I have a tip like that on my Israel page. Except I just said pick them up, not buy them...LOL

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2006 at 10:50 PM

This is a very interesting place indeed :)

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2006 at 5:21 AM

Fascinating place made even more so by your great photos!

• zrim's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2006 at 8:35 AM

Isn't this just a surprisingly great park. Went there in March and even thoughwe got sleeted upon, we had great adventures wandering through the mesas and petrified logs.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2006 at 8:31 AM

Some nice rocks here:) I particularly like the Hoodoos. You give great advice for desert wanderings.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2006 at 9:26 PM

I love your warm and vivid story style Wendy... the bright colours here remind me so much of my part of this wonderful world :~)

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2006 at 11:17 PM

Wonderful pictures. we are going through there this summer. you have helped. thanks

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2006 at 9:25 AM

Amazing place! Your tips are enticing with great photos to match. The power of wind & water creating the Hoodoos = wow!

catalysta

“Toto, we're not in Alaska anymore!”

Badges & Stats in Petrified Forest National Park

Have you been to Petrified Forest National Park?

Photos in Petrified Forest National Park