"A Paradise for Sailors & Divers" Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands by catalysta
British Virgin Islands Travel Guide: 463 reviews and 1,357 photos
East of Puerto Rico in the Sir Francis Drake Channel lies a cluster of over 50 islands "flung like jewels upon the sea". Harbours with legendary beach bars like those at Cane Garden Bay and Anegada alternate with secret sheltered coves that can only be accessed by boat. Fabulous wreck dives and pristine coral reefs lie waiting under shifting shades of Caribbean blue.
These are the British Virgin Islands, mythic paradise for sailors & divers alike. Descendants of freedmen have mingled with East Indian migrants and UK wanderers, creating the kind of atmosphere most of us fantasize & seek when we head to the Caribbean Sea. A little rum & reggae, a bit of West Antilles yellow pepper sauce or mango chutney on a fish pate, a hammock slung between two obliging palm trees, and the sound of the waves breaking against the reef as you slip into the dream...
It's underneath you whenever you are on the water, the history of Western discovery of the Caribbean Islands & the Americas and the subsequent colonization by many different European countries.
From bits and pieces rumored to be from one of Columbus' ships (like the anchor found offshore from St. Croix), to victims of legendary pirates like Blackbeard and the hopes of Spanish gold still unfound, to cruise ships from the 1800's gone down in unanticipated hurricanes, to all manner of ships and small boats sunk on the treacherous reefs, to more recent small airplanes left to collect a veneer of coral and a few new inhabitants, it's all there awaiting your visit to this magical nether kingdom with a tank of oxygen strapped to your back.
The real way to visit the BVI's is by boat, preferably cruising on a nice big catamaran so you can access all the shallowest coves as well as the deep water harbours. I didn't have that opportunity yet (this was sort of a recon trip to convince some friends to cruise with me in the future), so I opted to spend my time mostly on Virgin Gorda. For more details on the specific islands I visited, please see pages for Virgin Gorda, Beef Island, and Tortola.
- Pros:Amost everything you imagine perfect Caribbean islands to be
- Cons:Sand fleas on the beaches around dawn & dusk, they are voracious
- In a nutshell:Thanks to the friendly people of the BVI's for making this such a wonderful experience!
For those of us who aren't on a cruising vacation, there's always the option of taking a few day cruises, often... more travel advice
The islands have all kinds of wonderful snorkeling opportunities to offer, and many dive outfits and sailng outfits will... more travel advice
catalysta's Related Pages
British Virgin Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nature's little secrets indeed!"
- "idyllic British Virgin Islands"
- "A Paradise for Sailors & Divers"
- "Nature's Little Secrets"
- "The marina"
- "The BVI - Another Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in British Virgin Islands
- Hotels in British Virgin Islands
- Transportation in British Virgin Islands
- Nightlife in British Virgin Islands
- Restaurants in British Virgin Islands
- Shopping in British Virgin Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in British Virgin Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in British Virgin Islands
- 84 Reviews
- 208 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to British Virgin Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in British Virgin Islands
- Posted in Travel Isla de Roatán Forum "Re: Where to stay?"
- Commented on one of Rick_Feineis's British Virgin Islands travel pages
- updated a British Virgin Islands Travel Page "A Paradise for Sailors & Divers"
- Wrote a Review Day cruisin' in British Virgin Islands Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Day cruisin'"
Photos in British Virgin IslandsSee All Photos (208)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virgin Gorda Intro, 50 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 72 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Cayman Intro, 49 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 35 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 44 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination U. S. Virgin Islands Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos
- Stuart Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos
- Beef Island Intro, 15 reviews, 28 photos