"Virgin Gorda - Caribbean Perfection" Top 5 Page for this destination Virgin Gorda by catalysta
Virgin Gorda Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 306 photos
How do I begin to describe this lovely little slice of paradise without sounding trite? Won't you get tired of too many superlatives? Okay, here goes:
Christopher Columbus first sailed into the British Virgin Islands in 1643, after spending entirely too many long months at sea. His fevered imagination looked at the lush contours of this island, and saw the curves of a ripe woman waiting for him. So he named her "Virgin Gorda" the Fat Virgin - even though he supposedly thought she looked pregnant. He named the British Virgins for the legend of St. Ursula & the 11,000 British virgins who were supposedly martyred by the Huns in the 4th Century in Cologne, while enroute to Rome on holy Pilgrimage.
He had already named the larger group of islands on which he staked claims for the Spaniards the "West Indies", on the assumption that he had arrived in India. The name stuck even after the mistake was discovered. Today this term is still used for the islands that are British colonies: Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Montserrat and the Turks & Caicos Islands. Historically it also used to include the currently independent nations of Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, and Trinidad and Tobago.
Although most of us fail to see the lascivious lovely CC evisioned when we look at Virgin Gorda, it's still clearly one of the loveliest islands in all of the Virgin Islands group. Ocean beaches with pounding surf, sandy sheltered coves with reefs for snorkelers to explore, harbors for mariners find anchorage or moorings, mountains & lowlands, spectacular viewpoints, historical structures, pirates' legacies & hidden treasures, and a wonderfully friendly populace: These are just the beginning of what modern visitors can find here.
Although Virgin Gorda is an easy day trip by fast ferry from Tortola, Beef Island, or the US Virgin Islands, it deserves a more intimate and leisurely visit. Try to spend at least a few days here, and allow the beauty of Virgin Gorda and the charm of its famously friendly inhabitants to seduce you.
- Pros:the beauty of the island & the wonderful people who live there
- Cons:Plethora of day cruisers clogging up the Baths park
- In a nutshell:Everything you are looking for in a perfect Caribbean island
This island is a snorkeler's heaven, with lovely reefs close to shore and an abundance of sea life all around you. See... more travel advice
For those of you who opt to stay at the North Sound end of the island, Leverick Bay is the best spot for provisioning &... more travel advice
- See All Driving on Virgin Gorda
- Sand Flies & Jellyfish can happen to...
- See All DIVERS BE CAREFUL #2
- You know, I really didn't find any...
- There's more Virgin Gorda than The...
catalysta's Related Pages
Virgin Gorda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Virgin Gorda - Caribbean Perfection"
- "Virgin Gorda"
- "Virgin Gorda. It's positively AMAZING."
- "Virgin Gorda"
- "The Fat Virgin"
- "Virgin Gorda"
- "The Baths, a natural playground"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Virgin Gorda
- Hotels in Virgin Gorda
- Transportation in Virgin Gorda
- Nightlife in Virgin Gorda
- Restaurants in Virgin Gorda
- Shopping in Virgin Gorda
- Warnings and Dangers in Virgin Gorda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Virgin Gorda
- 50 Reviews
- 151 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Virgin Gorda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Virgin Gorda
- Posted in Travel Isla de Roatán Forum "Re: Where to stay?"
- Commented on one of Sergeyu's Virgin Gorda travel pages
- updated a Virgin Gorda Travel Page "Virgin Gorda - Caribbean Perfection"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Virgin Gorda - Caribbean Perfection"
- Wrote a Review Snorkel snorkel snorkel! in Virgin Gorda Sports & Outdoors
Photos in Virgin GordaSee All Photos (151)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virgin Gorda Intro, 50 reviews, 151 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peru Intro, 72 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Cayman Intro, 49 reviews, 75 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cook Islands Intro, 35 reviews, 70 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naples Intro, 44 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination U. S. Virgin Islands Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos
- Stuart Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos
- Beef Island Intro, 15 reviews, 28 photos