"My town" Top 5 Page for this destination Lecce by otaner

Lecce Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 198 photos

Lecce is my birthplace, and the place where my family lives.
It is a typical warm and quiet Italian southern town, surrounded by nice sea-places. In view of that, It is advisable to plan a visit in summer time.
Lecce is famous for its cavestone, decorated in "baroque" style.
What it is worth a visit, however, is not the cavestone in itself, nor the sea, nor the wormness of the climate singularly considered, but the whole atmosphere.
I have brought with me many friends which did not know the place, till now any of them expressed enthusiastic comments.
Actually, both Lecce and his region deserves a visit, trust me.

I have never counted how many churces there are in the old town,...about twenty I guess, in a quite small area.

You just have to walk around the narrow streets, then...as you turn a corner,... you got amazing views such as the one in the picture beside.

In my opinion, sunset light gives the best view, since the cavestone assumes a pink/yellow colour which is unique.
However, in night you will enjoy the magic of the light effects, in the morning the contrasts with the blue of the sky.

Roman' s evidences, buildings of the Fascism, buildings in soft and warm looking cavestone and castles.
Does this give an idea? Not enough I guess. The picture beside might be more explanatory. It's the main square of the old town: at the bottom is a Roman theatre, on the two sides two squared bulidings of the Fascism, in the middle the "sedile" building, in cavestone.

• Pros:relaxed atmoshere, food, sea, out of the tourists' main routes, many nice surroundings
  • Cons:out of the tourists' main routes
  • In a nutshell:...just rely on me.
  • Intro Updated Jun 16, 2005

otaner

“...my soul tattoed by "my" sea”

Badges & Stats in Lecce