"Archipielago Juan Fernandez" Isla Róbinson Crusoe by IIGUANA
Isla Róbinson Crusoe Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 16 photos
The Juan Fernandez Islands are a group of islands 670 kms off mainland Chile, between the chilean coast and Easter Island. It's a remote place, with a few houses (500 people live on the main island), but it's quite peaceful, with nice seafood and quite good scuba diving.
This group of islands is composed by 2 big islands and a rather small one. The first one, the main island, is called Robinson Crusoe Island or Mas a Tierra (Closer to Land), as if was often called in the early years. The second island, is the Alejandro Selkirk island, or so called Mas Afuera (Further Away), and the third, but not least, is the Santa Clara Island, the smallest of the three.
This group of islands is famous for being the inspiration for Daniel Defoe's "Robinson Crusoe", based on the real story of the scottish sailor Alexander Selkirk who marooned in 1705 and lived on these islands for 5 years.
The islands were once used as chilean prison during the independence years back in the 19th century.
Since 1977, these islands, World Biosphere Reserves, have been considered of maximum scientific importance because of the endemic species of flora and fauna. 101 of the 146 native species of plants are endemic.
- Pros:Good food, nice views, good for scuba diving
- Cons:Nothing else to do but what's listed above
- In a nutshell:Pirate legends, lobsters and scuba diving
What's interesting about these islands is the remarkable difference between their "inner face" (the side overlooking... more travel advice
The islands have incredible clear waters. It's good for scuba diving. There's one place where you can rent the equipment... more travel advice
IIGUANA's Related Pages
Isla Róbinson Crusoe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Archipielago Juan Fernandez"
- "Robinson Crusoe Island"
- "La isla bonita"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Róbinson Crusoe
- Hotels in Isla Róbinson Crusoe
- Transportation in Isla Róbinson Crusoe
- Restaurants in Isla Róbinson Crusoe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Róbinson Crusoe
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Isla Róbinson Crusoe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Róbinson Crusoe
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago Intro, 62 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 39 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 26 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Viña del Mar Intro, 28 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valparaíso Intro, 24 reviews, 24 photos
- Rome Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Damas Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pucón Intro, 13 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues