"Salvador da Bahia" Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador by IIGUANA
Salvador Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 192 photos
The state of Bahia is best known for its deeply rooted Afro-Brazilian culture. With its colorful mixture of fiery cuisine, voodoo sessions, colonial churches, and exquisite beaches, it has become a destination not to be missed by the traveller going to Brazil
The Bahian passion for life was. born directly out of the African slave trade. African slaves, who were dragged to Brazil over 300 years ago by Portuguese merchants, clung fiercely to their traditions which, today, have fused with mainstream Brazilian culture.
Salvador, the capital city of Bahia, has become one of the most beloved destinations in Brazil. The city is perched on a 200-foot bluff overlooking the ocean. Here, cows can be seen walking down the highway in the shadows of skyscrapers. Salvador is home to hundreds of magnificent baroque churches, scores of beaches, and tiny colonial alleyways full of folkloric crafts and regional foods. Salvador is a city of rhythm and celebration, and, next to Rio, boasts the biggest Carnaval blowout of Brazil. Some say that until you’ve been to Salvador, you haven’t experienced the real Brazilian Carnival.
The African-based trance-cult practice of candomble finds its deepest roots in Bahia.
Capoeira, the unique Brazilian martial art, will be seen throughout Bahia. The origin of this art form is not clear, but it may have been developed by slaves in an attempt to hide their self-defense practices from their masters. This fascinating mixture of acrobatics, dance and kicks is fascinating to watch
- Pros:Amazing colonial city, with lots to see
- In a nutshell:Brazil as it should be seen.
Some say that Rio's got the most amazing carnival. If you consider the customes, then I'd agree. But the party is... more travel advice
Itaparica is an island close to Salvador. You can take a boat and go for the day. It has the best beaches in Salvador,... more travel advice
IIGUANA's Related Pages
Salvador Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salvador da Bahia"
- "Bahia...The Friendliest Place on Earth"
- "Capoeira, dancing, beaches, culture, & Love"
- "Rich Afro-Brazil Culture of Salvador"
- "Salvador, city of all saints and sinful carnaval"
- "Coracao do Brasil"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salvador
- Hotels in Salvador
- Transportation in Salvador
- Nightlife in Salvador
- Restaurants in Salvador
- Shopping in Salvador
- Warnings and Dangers in Salvador
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salvador
- 11 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Salvador?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salvador
Photos in SalvadorSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago Intro, 62 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 39 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 26 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Viña del Mar Intro, 28 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valparaíso Intro, 24 reviews, 24 photos
- Rome Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Damas Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pucón Intro, 13 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues