"MY BEST TRIP EVER" IIGUANA's Profile

MY BEST TRIP

Fourth time in Brazil, third in Rio, second in Rio for Carnaval...

"Can't this guy ever get enough?" some might say. Guess not.

And the good thing is that EVERYTIME I come back, I think it was a completely different trip, and even better, much more fun than the last one.

"So how does he do it?" Some of you might think.

I just found that maybe it's not the place: not the warm weather nor the great beaches, not the quiet sunsets or the endless parties, nor the pretty people or the good restaurants - no! - it's just simply the same place, but with the right person.

It's all about the company. And if the company is alright, the trip will be alright. But if the company is the best you've ever had, then the trip, that journey yo just made, will be the best one ever.

Happily for me, this trip, this last trip to Rio, was the BEST trip I've ever had. And that is a reason to celebrate and remember for ever.

For I had the most impecable travel companion, that one that cheered you up when you woke up and it was raining, or that one that made you look good at the beach, the one that went with you to many places even if he wouldn't wanted to go, and with a smile. The one that simply was there everytime you needed help or needed a smile.

So this trip was AMAZING.

Found a lot of new things in Rio. Didn't take many pictures, though. But I've got some pretty good tips to gave out. Not as in quantity, but quality. Hope you enjoy them. So take a look at my Rio page (under construction), you might find what you're looking for.

What's next?

Don't know really. Thought it was Greece, but then I think it's not.

Maybe some nearby cities: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, and why not, maybe Rio again.

Or I might explore Santiago a little bit more.

For there's nothing more rewarding that knowing a little bit more about your hometown, that tip you found out by yourself and nobody else gave it to you. YOUR TIP.

So if someone asks "Where are you travelling next?" I'll probably say: "to Santiago, right over here. And with the best company I have."

Can I ask for more? I guess not. And I'm thankful for that.

2007: Buenos Aires for New Year

2007.
A whole new year is ahead of me.
Again.
Will I make it right this year?
I think so.
I hope so.
I know so...

I've heard that every minute after midnight on New Year's Eve is considered a month of the year. Thus, the first 12 minutes represent how your year will be. If it is like that, then I'll have one of the best years in my life. The best, if I'm not wrong.

This year I went to Buenos Aires, again. But this time it was different. This time, I went with the one I love. And everything changed radically. There was no extreme shopping, no everyday parties (although New Year's party was amazing!), no non-sleep nights... nothing. This time, Buenos Aires was all about walking, resting, eating, spending the whole afternoon at a park, below a tree, cuddling, giving each other that mischivieous look, enjoying the heat, watching the people go by, talking to strangers... it was the perfect trip.

It's funny how a person can make everything change. 2006 was not an easy year. Not at all. I passed through rough times. But at the end, everything started to change by this one individual that opened my eyes and let me be enchanted again with myself and everything around me.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! It's been by far, the best New Year's Eve. The most simple, but then again, the most beautiful.

Love is in the air... and thank God, it's in my air!

Let this year be great for all you. That your wishes may come true, that you arrive to your next destination and that you meet, as same as me, that speacial person that makes you realize that, from the moment you meet him or her, your life begins.

Again? Yeah, all over again. But with the right one.

Iorana

So, there was no trip to Ibiza nor Amsterdam. I still regret it and I'm a little sad because I didn't go. But it's the best way; the correct way. More trips will come, more great adventures and I just have to look ahead. Sometimes it's a bit blurry, but I know it's there.
Anyway, I came back from Easter Island, the more isolated place in the world (the closest point to the island is Chile at 3,000 kms away or Tahiti, at 3,200 kms). You can definately feel the magic of this particular island, filled with huge moais looking at you. The island itself is a world. The Rapa Nui are proud to be from the island, and they should be. So much mistery, so much isolation, so much magic let's you clear your head and think things over again. It helped me. I hope so...
Iorana.

European adventure...

So I'm back home. I came, I saw and I was conquered.
Europe was everything I expected to be and more. Walking around in the Barri Gotic in Barcelona, taking a stroll along the Seine in Paris, seeing what Rome must have been during early times, or walking along the Gran Via in Madrid, everything, EVERYTHING, was just perfect. I made good friends, my travelling partners were great and by those things only God knows, the weather was just perfect. No rain, no snow, no cold days.
Madrid, London, Barcelona, Rome and Paris had each one a different personality. Every city that I went to was special and different from one another. The smells, the people, the food and even the languages made every one of them special.
So I'm back home now. Eager to see and post the best pictures taken. Eager to start preparing my next trip. Eager to see back the friends that I made in this one. I'm starting to realize what I did that whole month. And I realize that everything was perfect.
So wait up. Let me recollect the best tips, the best pictures and start writing and sharing what I lived throughout December and January. Be patient. They will arrive...

4300 kms at the end of the world

There is a tale that maybe you'll hear it if you ever come up to Chile. And it goes something like this:
"When God was making the universe, he took special care for all the countries and places in the world: he put beautiful beaches in Brazil, amazing fjords in Norway, lots of animals in Africa, beatiful mountains in Canada, and so on. He put the best of the best in different places in the world. When he finished, he still had a lot of things left, but he had nowhere else to put them. He had a little of everything in His hands, and didn't know what to do with them. So he called an angel and gave him everything. He told him to put it somewhere far away, in some corner, so they wouldn't bother anyone. So the angel went around the world, and he found a thin strip of land, between some of the highest mountains in the world, and the biggest ocean there is. And he threw everything he had in that piece of land. And Chile was born..."
That's why Chile has everything. The driest desert, one of the highest mountain range there is, an amazing ocean, beatiful beaches, amazing fjords, erupting volcanoes, impressive glaciers, and very friendly people.
So if you ever want to see how Heaven would be, then come to Chile. You won't be dissapointed!!!

Where is Chile???

Chile is a long thin strip of land, west of Argentina, in South America. It goes from southern Peru to the icy waters of the Antarctica. We speak spanish, like most south american countries, but with a rather unsual accent. In fact, most south americans don't even understand us. So if you ever come down here and want to practice your Spanish, sit down, relax, and start all over. After a while you'll get used to us.
So, what makes Chile so interesting? The thing is that a country being so long, has some good and bad things. It takes lots of time if you want to go from the north to, let's say, the Patagonia (4300 k from north to south). But it's an amazing trip. But then again, if you are relaxing in the beach, and want to go skiing, then it'll only take you almost 3 hours to cross the country from west to east (250 k). Quite amazing...
Being such a long country makes our weather very different. In the north, you'll have very dry weather. Rain is seldom seen, and desert is all you see. There are quite amazing little towns, that look like taken from a ghost story. Beautiful sunsets, and lots of things to do.
Central Chile is where the big cities are. Very green, lots of vineyards, big cities, lots to do. Almost half of the country lives in the 5th, 6th and metropolitan regions.
And the south... oh yeah, Southern Chile. It's amazing. Beautiful sights. Great people. Amazing food. We've got lakes, volcanoes, glaciers, mountains, rivers, fishing, hiking, rafting, climbing... Southern Chile is a world by itself.
And if you want something exotic, then try Easter Island, one of our most exotic islands. Rapa Nui (Easter Island) is stunning: beatiful beaches, amazing scuba diving and the moai, those huge stone heads all over the island, overlooking the ocean. Perhaps they're waiting for travellers to visit them, who knows... So come on down!!! Come to Chile. You'll be suprised.

Viña del Mar: Born and Raised

Viña del Mar is the third largest city in Chile. It's known as "The Garden City" for its beautiful gardens. It's Chile's turistic capital, and with lots of beaches and great landscapes to look at, it's quite the perfect city. Its closeness to Santiago makes it a quiet suburb, but surrounded by the Pacific Ocean.
Although I don't live in Viña anymore, I visit it quite often. Living in Santiago makes Viña even more beautiful, and quite more enjoyable. It's a big city, with town-like people.
Viña is also next to Valparaiso. In fact, a lot of people don't know where one ends and the other begins. They share the same bay, but there are two completely different cities, in character and in extension.
Valparaiso is Chile's biggest port, and its economy is based on shipping and ship industries. It has been recently named a UNESCO Human Heritage Site, since it's Chile's most poetic and misterious city. Its many hills, houses hanging off the cliffs, small and steep streets, and the unusual elevators makes it a photographer's and a traveller's paradise.
So come and enjoy my hometown and its sorroundings. You won't be dissapointed.

Santiago, Chile's capital

Santiago, where I live now, is Chile's biggest city. 5 million people live in this crowded place so close to the Andes.
Santiago is a busy city. Definately. It has all the pros and cons a big city has: good dinning, good clubing, nice museums, nice parks, traffic, smog, pollution, etc.
Some people like it, some not. I'm beginning to like it. Maybe. Or I'm convincing myself that I must like it. I still haven't figure it out. But I will.
Either way, Santiago has something for everyone. Something to show. It's Chile's main entrance. It's our capital. It's our history. Like it or not, Santiago should be explored, at least once in your life.
Or maybe twice...

• Intro Updated Nov 17, 2008

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM

¡Feliz cumpleaños desde el sur de los EE.UU.!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Happy birthday, Jorge! I hope you are doing well!

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Happy Birthday. PJ

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2011 at 6:26 PM

¡Feliz cumpleaños, amigo!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2010 at 4:45 AM

Hi Jorge! Another year ..... and I do hope the next 365 days of your life will be wonderful ones!!! Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag!!!

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2010 at 9:36 PM

hi Jorge, my wife and I moving to Santiago in 2011 and was wondering if I could ask you some questions about living there...

• MissBianca's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Hi there! Fantastic travel pages you have here. Love your photos. Take care, from Australia.

• staindesign's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Hey Jorge! I just heard about the earth quake, i hope you are ok! I'm praying and thinking about you!

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Jorge!!! I missed your birthday too!! HAPPY BELATED! Tell me some news! Still heating things up in South America I'm sure! ;-)) Hugs back!

• a2lopes's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2009 at 1:39 AM

Feliz cumpleaños Jorge. Saludos desde Lisboa que espera tu visita

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
IIGUANA's Profile Photo

IIGUANA

“Conversation starts when someone's there to listen...”

Real Name