"Batam Trip 2005: Fri 25th Mar - Sun 27th Mar" Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam by DarkRay
Pulau Batam Travel Guide: 411 reviews and 1,071 photos
25th March 2005 being the Good Friday holiday meant that a long weekend was in order during this week. My buddies and I were feeling a little stressed out from work and so decided to take a short weekend getaway to Batam.
We had chose Batam because in mid-March 2005, there was a feature in our national English daily, The Straits Times, mentioning about how much Batam had cleaned itself up, ever since the raids conducted by their local authorities on the various casinos in the island. Through the last few months, Batam has also tried to position itself as a family-friendly location, by downplaying its more "seedy" establishments.
The convenience of not having to go through the hassle ot taking a plane and the island just being a short 45 minutes ferry trip obviously helped too.
For the regular tourists (well, like me) from Singapore, there are basically 2 areas of interest, Waterfront City and Nagoya.
Waterfront City like its name suggest, generally caters to visitors interested in water related activities such as cable skis, and parasailing. Unfortunately, some of my friends were not feeling particularly athletic during this time and so we decided to stay in Nagoya instead.
Nagoya used to be famous for their casinos, and er... "red light activities". But after the recent cleanup, it's now focused on providing affordable shopping and dining facilities, and accomodation. Great, just the things which a typical visitor from Singapore would like.... People like me ;-)
- Pros:Cheap affordable destination
First and foremost, let me start by saying that this was not our first choice of seafood restaurant. We had actually... more travel advice
While a lot of the shopping malls in Batam gives the characteristic feeling that they are built from ground up to cater... more travel advice
DarkRay's Related Pages
Pulau Batam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PULAU BATAM, INDONESIA 2006: Sat 25 Mar - Sun 26"
- "Batam Island - A Relaxing Island Near Singapore"
- "Batam Trip 2005: Fri 25th Mar - Sun 27th Mar"
- "Batam-nearer to Singapore than to Jakarta"
- "Twin Land of Singapore"
- "An Island South of Singapore"
- "Batam Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Batam
- Hotels in Pulau Batam
- Transportation in Pulau Batam
- Nightlife in Pulau Batam
- Restaurants in Pulau Batam
- Shopping in Pulau Batam
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Batam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Batam
- 19 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Pulau Batam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Batam
Photos in Pulau BatamSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 49 reviews, 221 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiang Mai Intro, 31 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krabi Intro, 18 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pulau Bintan Intro, 10 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Christchurch Intro, 1 review, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Fiordland National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Queenstown Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos