"Batam Trip 2005: Fri 25th Mar - Sun 27th Mar" Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Batam by DarkRay

Pulau Batam Travel Guide: 406 reviews and 1,061 photos

25th March 2005 being the Good Friday holiday meant that a long weekend was in order during this week. My buddies and I were feeling a little stressed out from work and so decided to take a short weekend getaway to Batam.

We had chose Batam because in mid-March 2005, there was a feature in our national English daily, The Straits Times, mentioning about how much Batam had cleaned itself up, ever since the raids conducted by their local authorities on the various casinos in the island. Through the last few months, Batam has also tried to position itself as a family-friendly location, by downplaying its more "seedy" establishments.

The convenience of not having to go through the hassle ot taking a plane and the island just being a short 45 minutes ferry trip obviously helped too.

For the regular tourists (well, like me) from Singapore, there are basically 2 areas of interest, Waterfront City and Nagoya.

Waterfront City like its name suggest, generally caters to visitors interested in water related activities such as cable skis, and parasailing. Unfortunately, some of my friends were not feeling particularly athletic during this time and so we decided to stay in Nagoya instead.

Nagoya used to be famous for their casinos, and er... "red light activities". But after the recent cleanup, it's now focused on providing affordable shopping and dining facilities, and accomodation. Great, just the things which a typical visitor from Singapore would like.... People like me ;-)

• Pros:Cheap affordable destination
  • Last visit to Pulau Batam: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated May 16, 2005

• Dec 22, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Anyone can give me the email address of Win's spa?

• Feb 28, 2008 at 6:04 AM

South East Asia is my favourite place in the world! Will be here soon again! volopolo

• rinnorinna's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Hi, i've stayed in Harmoni and its clean and staffs are friendly too. impression of the lobby doesn't dissappoint me. Actually Planet Holiday's lobby is about the same but the ambience is different

• Nov 22, 2007 at 4:02 AM

HI Darkray, do u hv the contact no. for the Win's spa? I 'm going this weekend with my friends and would like to call and book.

• Homanded's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2007 at 9:51 AM

Thank you Ray, it is a work in progress. I hope to make it to Singapore next year. I've heard wonderful things about it.

• travellingcouple's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2007 at 8:44 AM

hi there! i didnt know that there are nice places in batam. we went there last year, we went with a tour guide but it seems that he brought us to stores for us to buy. but we don't like the stores, its some kinda backward.

• Sep 11, 2006 at 10:02 PM

My friends are planning to go to Batam to eat KFC! We miss eating KFC (chicken+RICE) with hand, and have soup, perkedel and good chilly sauce. Yummy! Remind us of our teen years back home.

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2006 at 10:53 AM

Hi Raymond, tx for these excellently & useful written tips!! Going to have a look this weekend; actually S$18 for the seafood sounds not TOO bad considering the crab- & prawn dishes! btw I also prefer pepper to chili!

• sirenna's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2005 at 7:16 AM

Great page - loads of useful information. Hi from Boracay! :)

• flyingkiwi's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2005 at 6:14 AM

Nice page Raymond. Never knew there was a 'Nagoya' in Indonesia too. (I've been to the one in Japan!)> Mark, NZ

DarkRay

“Powered by Minimum 70% Cocoa ™”

Badges & Stats in Pulau Batam

Have you been to Pulau Batam?

Latest Activity in Pulau Batam