Montreal Transportation Tips by tuoedisni1
Montreal Transportation: 241 reviews and 217 photos
My "Pretzie" bike
If you are visiting Montreal in the summer, rent a bicyle. There are so many bike trails in and around the city. And I found it faster than walking or the metro.
If you have time, the trail going from Atwater Market to the Lachine Canal is just beautiful. It is a designated bicycle trail, so you won't have to worry about traffic. To start, just go south of Atwater market, over the bridge and take a right.
You can purchase the "Pedaler Montreal" booklet which is a listing of all the Montreal trails at any bike shop. I found that it was easier to just ask a local for the start of a trail and just wander from there.
Always wear a helmet as you will probably be riding on some main roads. Beware of two things: cars are not too fond of the bicyclists, so follow the rules of the road to stay out of trouble. And GET A GOOD LOCK!! Everytime I met someone while riding my bike, they would tell me of their story of getting their bike stolen. Many have had several bikes stolen!
The metro system is in Montreal is very easy to use. Theres 3 main lines - blue, orange and green. If you are touring downtown, you will probably be sticking to the green and orange lines.
Fares: I have never used the 3 day tourist card, but the six ticket strip is a good buy for a long weekend in Montreal.
Hours of Operation: As great as it is to use, my only gripe is that it closes so early. It runs till about 12:30 am on weeknights and 1am on weekends. Yes, this is way before the bars close!
If you will be out past those times, there are night buses. You can find these schedules on the website below.
If you're coming north from the US, you will most likely be taking the Pont Champlain into downtown. This bridge can get extremely crowded and you can be sitting in traffice for quite a while (one time over an hour!).
As an alternative, you can continue on Route 20 north about 6 miles and take Pont Jacques Cartier. Stay in the left lane as you exit the bridge and continue north until you reach Sherbrooke. Make a left and this will take you into downtown.
NOTE: Do not take this on Sat and Wed nights in the summer - it will be shut down for the fireworks festival.
Type: Car/Motor Home
Just a few tips if you are from the US and want to drive in Montreal.
- Do not make a right on Red.
- A straight arrow means STRAIGHT. This gives pedestrians time to cross. When it turns to a solid green light you can turn right.
- A flashing green light means you can turn any way you want, left, right or straight.
- The roads are in terrible shape. If you drive, park your car and take the metro. It will take you everywhere you want to go.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (29)
- See All Just for Laughs Festival
- See All Yellow Tomatos?
- See All Duty Free Alcohol
- See All Get the Flambe!
tuoedisni1's Related Pages
Montreal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bienvenue a Montreal! (Welcome!!!)"
- "A Wonderful Winter Weekend!"
- "Fall in love with Montréal..."
- "MONTRÉAL - our entry to Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montreal
- Hotels in Montreal
- Transportation in Montreal
- Nightlife in Montreal
- Restaurants in Montreal
- Shopping in Montreal
- Warnings and Dangers in Montreal
- See All...
Explore the World
- Armação de Pêra
- Barstow Hotels
- West Bretton Hotels
- Heathrow Hotels
- Koubri Nabmanaguéma Hotels
Badges & Stats in Montreal
- 33 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Montreal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montreal
Top 10 Pages
- Montreal Intro, 33 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 5 travelogues
- China Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Iceland Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague 1 review, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 1 review, 17 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos
- Venice Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Honolulu 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Queenstown Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Montreal hotel reviews
- Le Centre Sheraton Montreal
- 1128 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Royal Versailles Hotel Montreal
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Hotel Omni Mont-Royal
- 836 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Le Nouvel Hotel-Montreal
- 327 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- W Montreal
- 763 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Chateau de l'Argoat Montreal
- 259 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Montreal Airport
- 173 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville
- 188 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Hotel le Saint Andre
- 140 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- Auberge Du Vieux Port
- 617 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Le Roberval Montreal
- 148 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Quality Hotel Downtown Montreal
- 144 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Auberge Cosy
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 4, 2012
- Hotel Le Crystal
- 404 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Old Montreal- 158 Reviews, 263 Photos
- Mont-Royal- 81 Reviews, 153 Photos
- Basilica Notre Dame- 94 Reviews, 154 Photos
- Biodôme- 45 Reviews, 84 Photos
- Downtown- 39 Reviews, 74 Photos
- Chinatown- 22 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Olympic Village- 48 Reviews, 71 Photos
- Botanical Garden - Insectarium- 56 Reviews, 133 Photos
- Museum of Fine Arts- 17 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Oratory- 24 Reviews, 43 Photos
See All Montreal Things to Do