"I lived in the Valley for two years." McAllen by liusia
McAllen Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 41 photos
Some cynical people say that it combines many of the worst aspects of living in Mexico with the worst aspects of living in the US. Other people see bustling boom towns, on the verge of blooming into some of the premier living locations in America. For others, it's home, and a repository of unique and valuable Tejano culture. Personally, I think it's possible that all three are true.
having passed through the possession of many nations and many eras. Many of the historical anecdotes have an ironic tone - like the fact that the last battle of the Civil War was fought there well after the South had capitulated. Word hadn't yet reached this faraway corner of the country.
the big sky. I've never seen such a big sky. I never understood why Texans use that phrase until I came to the Valley.
Oh, and I will also miss the Jalisco-style tacos.
- Pros:low cost of living, unique ecology, easy access to the Gulf and to Mexican border crossings, fantastic food, close-knit families
- Cons:poorly maintained infastructure, dangerous highways, insular culture that can make outsiders uncomfortable, humidity
if you have the time. Some of them are really ridiculous. Many tell spectacularly horrible stories. more travel advice
They shed. Oh, you're laughing now, but you won't think it's so funny when a palm frond dents the hood of your... more travel advice
liusia's Related Pages
McAllen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ddgarza's McAllen, Page"
- "Where I spent my easter vacations???"
- "Gateway to Mexico"
- "JOHN SIMON.....McALLEN TEXAS PAGE"
- "I lived in the Valley for two years."
- "This place is built on hospitality/beauty"
- "Stuck in a place you can't get out of"
- See All...
- Things to Do in McAllen
- Hotels in McAllen
- Transportation in McAllen
- Nightlife in McAllen
- Restaurants in McAllen
- Shopping in McAllen
- Warnings and Dangers in McAllen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in McAllen
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to McAllen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in McAllen
Top 10 Pages
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Milwaukee Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- McAllen Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Chicago 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pskov Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Moscow Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Monterrey 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Mesa Verde National Park 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Delta Junction 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Anchorage 2 reviews, 2 photos
No friends yet.