"I lived in the Valley for two years." McAllen by liusia

McAllen Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 68 photos

It's an odd place to live.

Some cynical people say that it combines many of the worst aspects of living in Mexico with the worst aspects of living in the US. Other people see bustling boom towns, on the verge of blooming into some of the premier living locations in America. For others, it's home, and a repository of unique and valuable Tejano culture. Personally, I think it's possible that all three are true.

The region has a tumultuous history

having passed through the possession of many nations and many eras. Many of the historical anecdotes have an ironic tone - like the fact that the last battle of the Civil War was fought there well after the South had capitulated. Word hadn't yet reached this faraway corner of the country.

I don't regret moving away, but I will miss

the big sky. I've never seen such a big sky. I never understood why Texans use that phrase until I came to the Valley.

Oh, and I will also miss the Jalisco-style tacos.

• Pros:low cost of living, unique ecology, easy access to the Gulf and to Mexican border crossings, fantastic food, close-knit families
  • Cons:poorly maintained infastructure, dangerous highways, insular culture that can make outsiders uncomfortable, humidity
  • Last visit to McAllen: Jun 2006
  • Intro Written Sep 22, 2006

Comments

liusia Used To Live Here!

liusia

“Vcegda gotova!”

Badges & Stats in McAllen

Have you been to McAllen?

Friends