"Stockton on Tees - Home of the Locomotive Train" Top 5 Page for this destination Stockton-on-Tees by Muarrij
Stockton-on-Tees Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 72 photos
Well, I must say Stockton is quite a small town. However the surrounding towns and the borough itself are much larger and quite interesting.
Stockton doesnt seem to have much in the way of things to do, at least not in the town centre it self. A few small shopping areas, quite a lot of gambling areas (too many for such a small place in my opinion) and many pubs in the town centre!
The people here seemed nice enough and certainly those I worked with were accomodating and friendly. People in Stockton also seem to drink more tea than the usual Brit.
Stockton began as an Anglo-Saxon settlement on high ground close to the northern bank of the River Tees. The manor of Stockton was created in around 1138. Stockton Castle is first referred to in 1376. It was captured by the Scottish in 1644 and was occupied by them until 1646, but was destroyed on the orders of Oliver Cromwell at the end of the Civil War. There is now a shopping centre, called the Castle Gate Centre, where the original castle stood. The highstreet is also thought to be the widest in the country.
The town is famous for its associations with the Stockton and Darlington Railway on which ran the world's first steam hauled passenger train in 1825. The town also has the world's oldest railway station building, and also contains much Georgian architecture, one notable example being the world's oldest Georgian theatre, constructed in 1766.
Stockton was the birthplace and early home of furniture designer Thomas Sheraton. It was also the home of John Walker, who invented the friction match in 1826.
- Pros:Inexpensive town, good base to see surrounding areas & friendly people
- Cons:Small town, lack of decent hotels and amenities.
- In a nutshell:Stockon will always be remembered for the first Locomotive journey.
A few of the university campuses and business complexes can be seen on the other side of Stocktons Tees river... more travel advice
This is the old Mecca Bingo Hall, formerly the Globe Theatre. It was built in this form in 1935, and as well as... more travel advice
- Stocktons Swimming Pool Recreation...
- Visit the Local Council Library
- See All Castelgate Quay
- See All Wine, Dine and Dance
- A blast from the past!
Muarrij's Related Pages
Stockton-on-Tees Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stockton on Tees"
- "My Home Town"
- " Stockton-On-Tees"
- "Home sweet home"
- "Stockton on Tees - Home of the Locomotive Train"
- "Home sweet home"
- "STOCKTON ON TEES"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stockton-on-Tees
- Hotels in Stockton-on-Tees
- Transportation in Stockton-on-Tees
- Nightlife in Stockton-on-Tees
- Restaurants in Stockton-on-Tees
- Shopping in Stockton-on-Tees
- Warnings and Dangers in Stockton-on-Tees
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Stockton-on-Tees
- 30 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Stockton-on-Tees?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stockton-on-Tees
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 52 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockton-on-Tees Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mecca Intro, 26 reviews, 25 photos
- London Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos
- Puteaux Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Mina Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Lahore Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Cleveland 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Manchester 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Jersey Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
Latest Stockton-on-Tees hotel reviews
- Stockton Swallow Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions