"It all begins in Makkah, Arabia." Top 5 Page for this destination Mecca by Muarrij

Mecca Travel Guide: 157 reviews and 344 photos

My first visit to Makkah, the Hajj.

This was my first trip to Saudia Arabia. In particular to Makkah and Medina. These really are the most magnificent places on earth and the most moving too!
I made intentions to go on the Hajj. Thats the Muslim Pilgrimage.
The pilgrimage that every muslim must do at least once in a life time, if possible.
I have added quite a few pages for those wishing to goto Hajj or Umrah. Umrah being the shorter less extensive pilgrimage. Its not a mini Hajj as most people say. As in Umra you only really need to goto the Qiblah.
From the picture you can see how busy it was, I took this picture from the roof of the Mosque. The black structure in the middle is the Kaabah, (or Qiblah). Originally there was a structure built on this exact same spot by Adam, the first person and first prophet. The Kaabah was rebuilt a few times. It was also rebuilt by Prophet Abraham. So you can see the historic significance of the building. The side you can see in the picture depicts the solid gold door and the black stone. The black stone also has a history.
The people around it are encircling it and remembering God. Muslims dont pray "to" the structure but to God, however they use the structure as a focus point from where ever they might be in the world. Hence they face the Kaabah to pray.

• Last visit to Mecca: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 3, 2005

• Jul 18, 2010 at 5:00 AM

Your comments touched me so much they have bought tears to my eyes. Thankyou

• Dec 12, 2009 at 2:14 PM

I got your email...when I tried to send you a reply letter, it came back from my YAHOO email. I look forward to your reply. Thanks jroger_nelson@yahoo.com PS---I sent you picture...it came back to me also...you did not see it --------------------------

• grets's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2007 at 5:41 AM

Absolutely fascinating! I would love to visit Mecca, but as a non-Muslin there is not much chance of that unfortunately. It looks amazing!

• mfas2000's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2007 at 11:39 PM

Best place on earth..Yarn to go back...Thanks for the page

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2007 at 5:05 AM

i have students learning about mecca at the moment, i may well point them your way ! thanks.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2006 at 11:55 AM

More excellent tips. Of course, women don't shave their heads but trim less than an inch all round.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2006 at 10:09 PM

This page is so interesting, Muarrj! Why do you say you wouldn't be welcome in Jerusalem? I think you would.

Muarrij

“To BOLDLY go where EVERYONE has GONE before...”

Badges & Stats in Mecca