"Great Russian city of "Yaroslav the Wise"" Yaroslavl' by eVg
Yaroslavl' Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 123 photos
"Yaro" - can be translated as "Sun" and "Slavl" - is "in praise of/praising"
Very proud to say that my roots are from the great "Rus", which Yaroslavl so accurately and remarkably represents.
Pictures and tips as well as more info coming soon...
The territory of the Yaroslavl region is situated in the centre of Russia, in the core of foundation of Russian statehood and culture. Yaroslavl was founded as a fortress-town at the beginning of the 11th century by the Prince of Kiev Yaroslavl the Wise. According to the legend he subdued the pagans by killing the sacred bear. The legend of this fight was reflected in the coat-of-arms of the city.
Since 1218 Yaroslavl is the capital of the Yaroslavl principality. In 1612 the city is the place of forming irregular army of Minin and Pozharsky and also is the temporary capital of the Russian State.
The 17th century is the golden age in the history of Yaroslavl. This is the time of intensive economic growth, of culture flourishing in all its spheres with the foundation of Yaroslavl school of architecture and painting. At the end of the 17th beginning of the 18th centuries Yaroslavl is the second city in Russia after Moscow.
In 1750 there was lifted the curtain of the First Russian Professional Drama Theatre. The names of the outstanding people who lived in Yaroslavl are forever put into the annals of the world history. These are the names of the founder of the First Russian Theatre Fyodor Volkov, the Russian poet Nicholay Nekrasov, the first woman-cosmonaut Velentina Tereshcova.
The city of Yaroslavl occupies an advantageous position at the intersection of the most important transport main lines. Yaroslavl is the junction where the Transsiberian Railway crosses with the Moscow-Archangelsk motorcar and railway lines. The city is connected with Moscow (270 km) through railway, coach and river transportation. There is also the railway and coach communication with St. Petersburg (790 km). The railway main lines pass through the city to the North-East of the country. From Yaroslavl, along the Volga river one can get to the southern and northern seas.
more to come soon...
- In a nutshell:Theres is too much "heart and soul" to be put in a nutshell.
The following hotels are recommended to the tourists and businessmen: "Kotorsl"*** hotel with the prices from $30 to... more travel advice
eVg's Related Pages
Yaroslavl' Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "a great daytrip from Moscow"
- "The oldest town on the Volga"
- "Bear's city"
- "views from the Spassky Monastery's tower"
- "Great Russian city of "Yaroslav the Wise""
- "Yaroslavl-a fun, laid back city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yaroslavl'
- Hotels in Yaroslavl'
- Transportation in Yaroslavl'
- Restaurants in Yaroslavl'
- Shopping in Yaroslavl'
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yaroslavl'
- 2 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Yaroslavl'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yaroslavl'
Top 10 Pages
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 67 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 7 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ibiza Intro, 14 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape May Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- Queens Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Brooklyn Intro, 1 review, 13 photos, 3 travelogues
- Belém Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue