"Welcome to my Ga-P page!" Top 5 Page for this destination Garmisch-Partenkirchen by lareina

Garmisch-Partenkirchen Travel Guide: 302 reviews and 1,037 photos

Beautiful Bavaria

Garmisch-Partenkirchen is all about location, and what a location! Ga-P is nestled in a valley at the base of the German Alps. Imagine walking out of your door in the morning and realizing you are surrounded by mountains! I lived in Ga-P for a year and have many fond memories of the place. It is the kind of Bavarian town were cows still walk through the streets and the taxi drivers wear lederhosen, yet you can go downtown to buy designer clothes (although overpriced) and eat international cuisine. Ga-P is a definite stop for any outdoor lover!

Explore Bavaria

One of my favorite things to do in Garmisch is to hop on a bike or strap on my hiking boots and head out. There are hundreds of trails around Garmisch and they are all well-marked and well-maintained. Germans seem to love their outdoor activities and it shows! There are trails to take you up the mountains or away towards Munich or into Austria. The tourist information in town gives out city maps and a list of hikes. You can also buy a more detailed hiking map from them or go to the bookstore and browse their collection. I usually don't even take a map, but I like to keep track of which trails I have hiked. One of my favorite hikes is to go from the War Memorial on the Kramer to the Ruine Werdenfels.

Visit my travelogue for more info: Hiking and Biking in Bavaria.

A Little Bit of History

Nowadays, you can't tell the difference between Garmisch and Partenkirchen, but once upon a time they were separate villages. Partenkirchen is the older of the two and was a main stop on a 14th century Roman road. In 1935, being that the next year's Winter Olympic Games were coming to the towns, the mayors were convinced to unite the towns into one. Still, there remains a bit of competition between the two and you can even get a group of Italians to argue over where the dividing line lies. In my mind, I keep it simple and say the river Partnach is the divider.

The Winter Games of '36 were host to the first Olympic downhill and slalom races and Hitler was present for the event. After WWII, the town grew in popularity thanks to the Rest & Relaxation program of the United States Armed Forces. To this day, Americans soldiers and their families still come to the Armed Forces Recreation Center in Garmisch. AFRC is opening a new resort, the Edelweiss, in September and closing the long-standing Patton Hotel--where I used to work as a waitress!

Garmisch-Partenkirchen is very proud of its Bavarian heritage. You can witness this in the beautiful painting, or luftlmalerei, on the facades of traditional wooden homes and also in the people and their love of tradition. It is a beautiful place to visit and a beautiful place to have lived in!

• Pros:Mountains, lakes, and lederhosen.
  • Cons:Overpriced shops, cow droppings in the street.
  • Last visit to Garmisch-Partenkirchen: Nov 2003
  • Intro Updated May 14, 2004

• Dec 29, 2008 at 5:43 AM

I believe we ate here also, and I agree - wonderful experience & great food! The sign out front identified it as Jamison's Pub. Our dinners were a little pricey (a la carte for salads, etc.) but not out of line, and well worth a return visit!

• PookieRabbit's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2005 at 6:34 AM

Thanks for all the useful info, thinking of visiting for snowboarding early next year but summer looks great too!

• MrBill's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2005 at 4:49 AM

I read all your GAP tips. You have done a good job. Take care. Frohe Oestern. Tschuess, Bill.

• MURRA's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2004 at 9:00 AM

interesting bavarian area

• DUNK67's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2004 at 6:04 AM

wow, some stunning photos, great tips as well.

• chicabonita's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2004 at 5:48 AM

thanks for the good infos! Will be there maybe in Dezember for a long weekend. After seeing your pics I'm looking more forward to it :-)

• Henkster's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2004 at 5:56 AM

Great page about one of germanys most beautiful places! YOur hiking travelogue is amazing - Eibsee is a true nature paradise!

• May 13, 2004 at 11:00 PM

Excellant information,Great pictures, tips and useful narration.

• neilward's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2004 at 4:57 AM

ONE OF MY FAVOURITE PLACES IN THE WORLD,SOUTHERN GERMANY IS SO BEAUTIFUL,GREAT PAGES.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2004 at 12:55 AM

great page with heaps of fine tips, tks for sharing

lareina

“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. -Ralph Waldo Emerson”

Badges & Stats in Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Have you been to Garmisch-Partenkirchen?

Latest Activity in Garmisch-Partenkirchen