"Another Side of Mexico" Top 5 Page for this destination San Miguel de Allende by lareina

San Miguel de Allende Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 316 photos

I spent six lovely weeks in San Miguel this past October and November. The beautiful Mexican sun shone down on me almost every day and it was hard to believe that I would be under rainy skies if I were home.

I saw quite a few festivals and became accustomed to fireworks going off at any hour of the day or night. I also had some great comida...from cheap tacos at my local stand to exquisite meals at the newest restaurants. The thing I most loved about San Miguel was the colour....so vibrant and rich.

It is true that San Miguel is home to many Americans and Canadians and that the town is quite different compared to the rest of Mexico. Nonetheless I still think that San Miguel has its authenticity and charm, this just means that a traveller has to look a little harder to find the real 'San Miguel'. Venture beyond the areas surrounding the Jardin and explore the barrios, especially San Antonio. Or just relax and enjoy the shops, restaurants, and beautiful colonial architecture in this gem of a Mexican town.

• Pros:Architecture, history, colour.
  • Cons:You will wish you were the only tourist to find this gem.
  • Last visit to San Miguel de Allende: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 14, 2005

• Sep 16, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Very good restaurant. Much better pizza than Romano's.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2007 at 6:27 PM

I fell in love with this city many years ago and am thinking of returning in January. Great tips - it shows that you were here for 6 weeks and not just a couple of days. I will have to look for those markets - I love local markets!

• Jan1667's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2007 at 6:24 AM

I will second your appraisal of L'Invito. I have eaten here many times and the food is excellente... real Italian food by a real Italian chef, Silvia Bernardini. Enjoy!

• Joe_Gluckman's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2007 at 1:31 PM

The Huevos Mancha are excellent. Recommend Salsa Rojo

lareina

“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. -Ralph Waldo Emerson”

Badges & Stats in San Miguel de Allende

Have you been to San Miguel de Allende?

Latest Activity in San Miguel de Allende