"Raleigh, NC" Top 5 Page for this destination Raleigh by TimDaoust
Raleigh Travel Guide: 234 reviews and 297 photos
Greenshields pub in the historic City Market disctric with its cobblestone roads, the Wachovia bank high rise towering in the background, a perfect mix of old and new in NC's capital city, Raleigh.
Ahh, Raleigh. My parents moved us here to a suburb of Raleigh, called Garner from Stanfordville, NY in 1984 when I was only three years old. So for the most part this is home, though I still consider myself a northerner. I never did get into hush puppies and barbecue, country music or square dancing. My whole family still talks with an accent of sorts and so do I when I'm around them.
Anyway, Raleigh is the capital city of North Carolina and in some studies the triangle area, Durham, Chapel Hill and Raleigh included, has been listed as one of the best places to live in the US. It is a fairly short drive to loads of fun attractions like the beach (2-3 hours) or the mountains (2-3 hours) and it has an international airport with a direct flight to London. We even host the NC State Fair which is fun if you like (and trust) rides that can be taken apart and moved, greasy fatty food, farm animals and hanging out with people who like to fry anything (and that includes twinkies, candy bars and stuff that's already been fried once).
Seriously, there are some fun things about Raleigh and obviously I don't totally hate it because I moved back here after I finished school. I think if I hate it at all it's in that way that you end up hating the place you grew up if you want to see the rest of the world and you can't wait to get out of town.
Downtown has gone through some revitalization in parts especially the Glenwood Ave area. There are lots of quaint areas, lots of good restaurants, a sports arena, lots of good venues for theater and music, and since it is a college town and not far off from two other college towns, there's also everything that comes with that.
There are plenty of off the beaten path type adventures to be had, miles of greenway, plenty of city parks and lakes from the smallest to Falls and Jordan lakes. This photo was taken at Shelley lake, not too far from where I live.
- In a nutshell:City of Oaks...how's that for a nutshell?(sorry for the bad pun)
There was this amazingly cool Tibetan Buddhist shop that I wandered into with a friend the other day. I had never even... more travel advice
Tir na nog means "land of eternal youth". This place is located a stone's throw from City Market and has a very cozy... more travel advice
- A Trolley in Raleigh?
- See All Snazzy restaurant on Hillsborough St.
- See All BTI Center for the Performing Arts
- Nice B&B close to Historic Oakwood and...
TimDaoust's Related Pages
Raleigh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Raleigh, NC"
- "raleigh north carolina"
- "Raleigh, NC"
- "Raleigh: Capital of North Carolina"
- "A Place I Can Call Home"
- "Steeping in the Southeast"
- "Capital of North Carolina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Raleigh
- Hotels in Raleigh
- Transportation in Raleigh
- Nightlife in Raleigh
- Restaurants in Raleigh
- Shopping in Raleigh
- Warnings and Dangers in Raleigh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Raleigh
- 36 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Raleigh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Raleigh
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angers Intro, 38 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke Intro, 26 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Raleigh Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boone Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Juan del Sur Intro, 7 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Giverny Intro, 3 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue