"Ocracoke Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke by TimDaoust
Ocracoke Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 225 photos
I have been to Ocracoke, three times for the past few years, always in June. It's not only a great place for a get away but the island has a history and a personality that charm you from the moment you get off the boat. Life is different out here. The locals seem to be all fishermen or otherwise they work at the many businesses that thrive on the tourists that come here. It can be fun to just sit on the docks at Smacnally's or hang out at Ocracoke Coffee House and just listen to the locals and people watch, wondering what it must be like to live so secluded from everything. There are several local music groups that play here at different venues, the Deepwater Theater being one of the most known. There is a school and a health clinic, a bank and several variety stores where the locals buy their groceries. One realizes that this is not just a tourist destination, it is a village where life goes on as usual, even though they have only one restaurant that stays open year round.
There is plenty to do here besides history lessons and touristy shops. You can rent kayaks and paddle the harbor, you can go deep sea fishing on chartered boats, you can eat seafood with the locals, you can get fresh Maine lobsters at Howard's Pub, flown in from Maine every day. (There's an airstrip across the street) There's a lot of nature to discover as most of the island is part of Cape Hatteras National Seashore. Hatteras Island is not far away, an easy day trip. The ferry to Hatteras is free.
The best part is camping on the dunes. There are also plenty of hotels and B&B's to stay at in the village. Here is a good map of the village that has places to stay, things to do, places to eat.
- Pros:Charm, tranquility and culture
- In a nutshell:Tiny island paradise
I had no other place for these. so I thought I'd make another tip. more travel advice
This shop is right on the corner of Silver Lake and NC 12. They sell all your typical beach bum stuff, hats, t-shirts,... more travel advice
- Local Music? sure!
- See All How to get to Ocracoke
- See All Gelato!
- Sunscreen, Mosquito Repellent arsenal
TimDaoust's Related Pages
Ocracoke Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ocracoke Island"
- "A place to unwind"
- "Welcome to Ocracoke Island"
- "Ferry In - Ferry Out"
- "FreeCloud's new Ocracoke Page"
- "Mandi_Lu's Ocracoke Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ocracoke
- Hotels in Ocracoke
- Transportation in Ocracoke
- Nightlife in Ocracoke
- Restaurants in Ocracoke
- Shopping in Ocracoke
- Warnings and Dangers in Ocracoke
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ocracoke
- 26 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Ocracoke?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ocracoke
Photos in OcracokeSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angers Intro, 38 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke Intro, 26 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Raleigh Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boone Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Juan del Sur Intro, 7 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Giverny Intro, 3 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue