"Home of the High Country" Top 5 Page for this destination Boone by TimDaoust

Boone Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 178 photos

I'd just as soon be in Boone

Boone. There's a lot to say about Boone. It's a college town and small, nestled in between some mountains and close to a lot of attractions including the Blue Ridge Parkway. My first visits were during my college days at UNC Greensboro. Boone was a hub and hangout spot when my dorm mates and I would go to Valle Crucis, a much smaller mountain town about fifteen miles from Boone. I kept coming to visit when my brother decided to attend ASU and eventually, I couldn't stay away. After I met my ex-wife in France in the summer of 2002 I seriously couldn't stay away because she attended ASU as well. It's really a lovely place and has a pretty happening downtown area. Just two hours from Greensboro, NC.

• In a nutshell:Quaint Mountain town close to ski resorts and the Blue Ridge Parkway
  • Last visit to Boone: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 11, 2014

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2008 at 12:05 PM

i will be in Lowell, MA in july 2009 and in Boone in August 2009. i got some nice tips from your pages that i have saved in my custom guide :-)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2008 at 1:15 PM

interesting page you have here

• Aug 31, 2006 at 12:18 PM

Great info. Husband & I go late Sept -will try some of the gentler hikes. We've traveling & SCUBA diving all over for 30 yrs together. Still diving & traveling, not bad for a couple of old farts. TY again,Debbie

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2005 at 7:40 AM

Great page . . . I have a lot of friends who went to App State. Quite the party town, but also such a beautiful area. I miss those mountains!

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2005 at 5:41 AM

Can you believe I was here in the late 80s to give a paper at ASU. I snuck into town as Marshall had just whomped 'em ;) Ate at a Japanese Steakhouse where the chef keep slicing mushrooms into my companion's hair!!

• Feb 14, 2005 at 6:56 AM

Valle Crucis is really nice! my husband and i went there for a wonderful get away a few years ago in the fall. my best friend used to go to App, and i can't wait to get back up there once i move back home :-) nice Boone page.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2005 at 12:15 PM

I'd just as soon be in Boone, too. I lived for a while in Asheville, and would be there to this day if it weren't for a crazy mountain woman. I'd rather be in Ohio if its the only way I can have Karen. Isn't life grand! Stephen

TimDaoust

“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries. ~Aldous Huxley”

Badges & Stats in Boone