Angers Local Custom Tips by TimDaoust Top 5 Page for this destination
Angers Local Customs: 3 reviews and 2 photos
Every summer on June 21st in every city in Europe (plus various others on almost every continent, including in the US in NYC, LA and of all places Carrboro, NC...right down the road from me) there is an evening of free music known as la fete de la musique... at least in France it is. I wrote my paper and did my 5 minute presentation for my French class in Angers on this very event so I have lots to tell.
It started in the early 80s in Paris as a way for people to enjoy music freely in any and all venues and by 1985 or 6 it became a certified event and began to spread to other cities and eventually, today, it is almost a worldwide event. Literally any type of music you can think of, any type of venue and all night long. There are organized concert venues from outdoor stages to art museums to restaurants and bars and then there is the occasional impromptu drum circle or man in a window playing a guitar. We saw it all. I did my research online for the paper and then I took my guitar and walked around Angers the whole night watching bands in play from the Place du Ralliement to the crowded rue St. Laud and up and down just about every other street outside of restaurants and bars. It was quite an experience. All free and loads and loads of people. It was just beautiful to see that many people enjoying that many kinds of music. And people would always stop and give each group a listen. For once it wasn't about the money but about the music. If you are ever in Paris on June 21st you must tell me about your experience. Here is a picture of me playing my guitar in la Place du Ralliement.
More Reviews (37)
- See All La Marche Laffayette
- See All Bouvet Ladubay
- Office du Tourisme
- See All Place de l'Academie
TimDaoust's Related Pages
Angers Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Angers, France"
- "Angers: one of the best towns to live in"
- "Past and Present: Anjou or Loire?"
- "A Good Place to Start Visiting Chateaux"
- "Chateau d'Anger and the Apocalypse Tapestry"
- "Angers, a wonderful French town"
- "Aussie in Angers for 6 months"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angers
- Hotels in Angers
- Transportation in Angers
- Nightlife in Angers
- Restaurants in Angers
- Shopping in Angers
- Warnings and Dangers in Angers
- See All...
Explore the World
- Sydney Hotels
- Town of Pines Hotels
- Dickson Hotels
- Sandnessjøen Hotels
Badges & Stats in Angers
- 38 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Angers?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angers
Photos in AngersSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angers Intro, 38 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke Intro, 26 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Raleigh Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boone Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Asheboro Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Giverny Intro, 3 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue