Angers Local Custom Tips by TimDaoust Top 5 Page for this destination

Angers Local Customs: 3 reviews and 2 photos

Me - Angers

Me

Fete de la Musique

Every summer on June 21st in every city in Europe (plus various others on almost every continent, including in the US in NYC, LA and of all places Carrboro, NC...right down the road from me) there is an evening of free music known as la fete de la musique... at least in France it is. I wrote my paper and did my 5 minute presentation for my French class in Angers on this very event so I have lots to tell.
It started in the early 80s in Paris as a way for people to enjoy music freely in any and all venues and by 1985 or 6 it became a certified event and began to spread to other cities and eventually, today, it is almost a worldwide event. Literally any type of music you can think of, any type of venue and all night long. There are organized concert venues from outdoor stages to art museums to restaurants and bars and then there is the occasional impromptu drum circle or man in a window playing a guitar. We saw it all. I did my research online for the paper and then I took my guitar and walked around Angers the whole night watching bands in play from the Place du Ralliement to the crowded rue St. Laud and up and down just about every other street outside of restaurants and bars. It was quite an experience. All free and loads and loads of people. It was just beautiful to see that many people enjoying that many kinds of music. And people would always stop and give each group a listen. For once it wasn't about the money but about the music. If you are ever in Paris on June 21st you must tell me about your experience. Here is a picture of me playing my guitar in la Place du Ralliement.

• Updated Jan 28, 2005

TimDaoust Used To Live Here!

TimDaoust

“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries. ~Aldous Huxley”

Badges & Stats in Angers