Angers Off The Beaten Path Tips by TimDaoust Top 5 Page for this destination
Angers Off The Beaten Path: 14 reviews and 18 photos
Bottling at Bouvet
Bouvet Ladubay makes sparkling wine in the Loire region. They have red, white and rose varieties. The same day we visited Rochemenier and Fontevraud Abbey we came here to tour their eight kilometers of underground caves and taste their sparkling wines. The wines were excellent and the tour intriguing. I remember seeing huge crates where they held several bottles, but these crates were not still, they were on motorized pedestals that rotated them automatically after a few days so that the sediment never settled. I suppose this makes a better wine. Bouvet Ladubay is located near Angers in a town called St-Hilaire St-Florent and is close enough for a day trip by bus.
Phone: 02 41 83 83 83
Abbaye Royale de Fontevraud
The Abbay de Fontevraud has a very long history that begins in the 11th century with man named Robert d'Abrissel who came to Anjou to live as a hermit and gathered followers and eventually the blessing of a pope and somehow through quite a long story ends in Henry Plantagenet his son, daughter and wife Eleanor of Aquitaine being buried here along with other members of the royal family. Four statues, three of stone, one of wood, of the four are preserved in the Abbey and can be seen today. The architecture itself is incredible. This is but one picture of the abbey a friend of mine took. They were remodeling when we came to see but we were still able to have a French tour of the whole abbey and the grounds outside. Worth the trip from Angers, it was about a half hour or forty five minute bus ride, I can't remember.
Domaine de Bablut
This was one of our excursions during the month I studied there. It is outside of Angers a little ways and the French countryside surrounding it is just beautiful. We were given a guided tour from a French guy who mumbled a lot and was hard to follow and a wine tasting at the end. I remember a few things from the tour that we learned about the wines, mostly things like a cabernet can age up to 20 years and most white wines will only age 5 years or less. Also, we were given a chance to listen to the inside of a barrel of wine as the fermentation process was going on. You could hear a bubbling noise coming from inside the barrel. It was pretty neat. The wine tasting was of course the best part. They are closed on Sundays.
Phone: 02 41 91 22 59
Julie, Katy, LeAnn, Cathy, Dave
Between the Chateau D'Angers and The St. Maurice Cathedral you will find narrow cobble stone roads and old buildings that make up the medieval quarter of Angers. This shot was taken up against one of the houses in this maze of cobblestone roads. We all thought the plant life growing up the wall was neat and figured the owner of this house wouldn't mind us posing for a picture.
More Reviews (34)
- See All La Marche Laffayette
- Office du Tourisme
- See All Place de l'Academie
- COTRA Bus
TimDaoust's Related Pages
Angers Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Angers, France"
- "Angers: one of the best towns to live in"
- "Past and Present: Anjou or Loire?"
- "A Good Place to Start Visiting Chateaux"
- "Chateau d'Anger and the Apocalypse Tapestry"
- "Angers, a wonderful French town"
- "Aussie in Angers for 6 months"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angers
- Hotels in Angers
- Transportation in Angers
- Nightlife in Angers
- Restaurants in Angers
- Shopping in Angers
- Warnings and Dangers in Angers
- See All...
Explore the World
- Altinkum Hotels
- Knokke-Heist Hotels
- Dzongri Hotels
- Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- Liberia Hotels
- The Beach
- Fort Bragg Off The Beaten Path
- Sheridan Off The Beaten Path
- Rye Off The Beaten Path
- Malta Off The Beaten Path
- Palermo Off The Beaten Path
- Butuan City Off The Beaten Path
- Day Trip
- Uluwatu Off The Beaten Path
- Sancerre Off The Beaten Path
- Alice Springs Off The Beaten Path
- River Spree, Wannsee and Havel Lakes
Badges & Stats in Angers
- 38 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Angers?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angers
Photos in AngersSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angers Intro, 38 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke Intro, 26 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Raleigh Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boone Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Asheboro Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Giverny Intro, 3 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue