"Angers, France" Top 5 Page for this destination Angers by TimDaoust
Angers Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 283 photos
Two years ago I studied for a month in Angers on a program called Live and Study in Anjou. Angers is the capital of the Anjou region and is referred to as the gateway to the Loire Valley. Situated on the Maine River and home to some 30,000 students, it is both a college town and a historical goldmine. It is home to the ominous Chateau d'Angers which houses the famed Tapisserie de l'Apocalypse, the Cathedral St. Maurice, dating back to the 12th century and what is known as the purest French spoken anywhere in the world. And the people are lovely.
My dormitory was near the centre ville and a short walk from the Chateau D'Angers. As part of our curriculum we saw almost every monument and musee in Angers and the Loire Valley region. Wine tastings were not uncommon either. The wine in the Loire Valley is excellent (maybe not as famous as Bourgogne or Languedoc or Bordeaux but nonetheless amazing.) You can taste and buy Loire Valley wines at the Masion du Vin across from the Chateau. The centre ville is a beautiful place to visit and is easy to conquer on foot.
During our stay we were lucky to experience the fete de la musique, a festival that takes place all over the world every summer. Musicians perform in any and every venue for the entire evening. During the Fete, Angers was full of local music groups, one every ten feet in the centre ville, it seemed. It was an incredible experience and a great way to get to know a town. Angers is definitely my favorite place in Europe and that's not just because I've spent the most time there. Stay tuned because I'm in the process of sprucing this page up a bit and adding a load of pictures and tips to it.
- Pros:Great history, beautiful charming city, great restaurants and the purest French spoken in the world...
- Cons:none I can think of...
- In a nutshell:Jewel of the Loire Valley...in my humble opinion
Every Wednesday they would have an open air market on one of the city streets...I really wish I could tell you where to... more travel advice
Check this out. This is the fountain at the bottom of the staircase that leads up to the St. Maurice Cathedral. I'm... more travel advice
TimDaoust's Related Pages
Angers Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Angers, France"
- "Angers: one of the best towns to live in"
- "Past and Present: Anjou or Loire?"
- "A Good Place to Start Visiting Chateaux"
- "Chateau d'Anger and the Apocalypse Tapestry"
- "Angers, a wonderful French town"
- "Aussie in Angers for 6 months"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angers
- Hotels in Angers
- Transportation in Angers
- Nightlife in Angers
- Restaurants in Angers
- Shopping in Angers
- Warnings and Dangers in Angers
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Angers
- 38 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Angers?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angers
Photos in AngersSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angers Intro, 38 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke Intro, 26 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Raleigh Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boone Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Asheboro Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Giverny Intro, 3 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue