"Medieval Village" Guérande by TimDaoust

Guérande Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 13 photos

Guerande is a fortified medieval era city with a surrounding fortress wall that was built to protect it from invaders. The city has a long history of bringing in money with its salt crop from nearby salt marshes. We visited here on a day trip and it was quite enjoyable despite being the coldest day in June at 50 degrees F. This photo is the entrance to the old walled city. We walked around the city for about two hours or so breaking for lunch at a little place called La Flambee which was a welcome escape from the chill in the air. They had a fire going in their chimney and all manner of crepes and galettes on the menu.

But I'll save talking about that restaurant for the tip page. In the center of the city, as in most medieval cities, the cathedral towered over all the rest. We didn't go inside the cathedral but I stopped in the street to compose this pictures. Up and down the streets that day were several street vendors selling all kinds of goods, from clothing to fruits and vegetables, to flowers, and even meats. I had to buy a sweater because I, along with most of the other students underestimated the June weather in France.
Guerande Office du Tourisme is a good site but you need Flash to view it.

The surrounding region is well known for its salt marshes. A huge amount of gourmet sea salt is produced here. I remember on the bus ride out here we could see salt marshes stretching out on both sides of the road. I wish I had photographed them now.

• Last visit to Guérande: Jun 2002
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2005

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2005 at 6:32 AM

What a great beginning to an up and coming excellent Guerande page, Tim! La Flambee sounds great-even with the sardines on the menu. ;) June in Guerande could be like SF in June--no kidding! ~Cheryl~

TimDaoust

“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries. ~Aldous Huxley”

Badges & Stats in Guérande

Have you been to Guérande?

Latest Activity in Guérande