"Malestroit" Malestroit by TimDaoust
Malestroit Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 33 photos
People asked us, even in Malestroit (one does not pronounce the S, we were told so it comes out "Mal ay twa") while we were there, why we chose to come visit there, of all places. Not a lot of people come here. The town is some two thousand years old and sits on the Nantes-Brest Canal in parts and also along the Oust river. Quaint and beautiful, ancient and historic, you'll find a whole lot of things to do here. There is plenty of good Bretagne food to be had, an old mill that still works, plenty of parks to stroll in and the main square, the Place du Bouffay with its imposing cathedral. However, and this is one reason we chose the town, it is only 25km away from the town of Josselin and its medieval chateau which is certainly worth a visit.
We stayed at La Maison Blanche, a bed and breakfast run by a wonderful British couple, which is situated right beside the canal, in ear shot of the babbling spillway near the mill. One can walk from the B&B along the canal to one of many old and still working locks that appear all along the canal. We got to watch one of them in action, letting a barge through. Amazing because the canal is extremely narrow compared to modern canals.
A little more information on the town:
- Pros:Quiet, beautiful...I mean gorgeous
- Cons:One might get bored if one were a city person
- In a nutshell:The quietest French village in Brittany
Go see the historic Chateau of Josselin! Get some history here:... more travel advice
Jean and Adrian, our hosts at La Maison Blanche, recommended this place to us and even booked us reservations the night... more travel advice
TimDaoust's Related Pages
Malestroit Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The town of the monastery and chancellor's house"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malestroit
- Hotels in Malestroit
- Transportation in Malestroit
- Restaurants in Malestroit
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malestroit
- 5 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Malestroit?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malestroit
Photos in MalestroitSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angers Intro, 38 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke Intro, 26 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Raleigh Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boone Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Juan del Sur Intro, 7 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Giverny Intro, 3 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue