"Ville Troglodytique" Rochemenier by TimDaoust
Rochemenier Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 10 photos
What are troglodytes you ask? Cave people! Yes, cave people. We visited this as part of a day long excursion and I think we had the most fun here out of all three places we went. We got a guided tour to start off with and then were given a sort of scavenger hunt to learn a little more about the history of the village. Our guide looked like John Lithgow and was very amusing. He told us in choppy English, "when we learn English we suffer, now it is your turn to suffer" and proceeded to give the rest of the tour in French, but a very clear and understandable French. Very cool.
Troglodytes basically carved out the earth to make caves because they rationalized that it would take almost no building material to make their homes and they would be cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It was very neat to go inside these perserved caves and see a sort of museum showing how exactly they lived. This is my friend Katy in one of the troglodyte homes.
We weren't the only tourists here. I thought this was a great shot with the sunlight pouring in. we stopped for a bit here and, you guessed it, played hackey sack!
- In a nutshell:Troglodytes!
TimDaoust's Related Pages
Rochemenier Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Rochemenier
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Rochemenier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rochemenier
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 82 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angers Intro, 38 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke Intro, 26 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Raleigh Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boone Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Durham Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Asheboro Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Giverny Intro, 3 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue