"UKUNDA" Ukunda by sigg
Ukunda Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 49 photos
Until a few years ago just a village on the highway, UKUNDA is now a scruffily burgeoning town and the main service centre for the resort hotels, strung out along the Likoni-Lungalunga road, with a post office (Mon-Fri 8am-12.30pm & 2-5pm), Total petrol station, a couple of places with internet access (BTS near Casino Pub , for example), which is cheaper than at Diani Beach, branches of KCB and Postbank (both opposite Total) and hundreds of dukas . Only marginally touched by tourism, Ukunda has a life of its own, not all of it pleasant: the sprawl is an increasingly deprived area, and along with Likoni was a major centre of the ethnic violence that swept the region prior to the 1997 elections, in which some 100,000 "up-country" people were forced to flee. Still, if your holiday isn't otherwise adventurous, it's worth a visit to see something of Kenya a little less unreal than the strip.
sigg's Related Pages
Ukunda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beach, hotels, road and not much else."
- "Ukunda - Diani Beach"
- "Ukunda and Diani"
- "A daytrip to Ukunda"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ukunda
- 1 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Ukunda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ukunda
Photos in UkundaSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Tsavo National Park Intro, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Voi Intro, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tsavo National Park East Intro, 2 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Natal Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amboseli National Park Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ukunda Intro, 1 review, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kenya Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tsavo National Park West Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kisite Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oslo Intro, 3 photos