"Dumfries & Galloway-easily missed never forgotten" Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway by davesut

Dumfries and Galloway Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 810 photos

Cross the border and turn left

Dumfries and Galloway is an area of Scotland that few people appear to have visited. When mentioning to friends many appear to be besotted by Edinburgh, the festival and maybe the highlands yet I have found this a really beautiful part of the world. The Southern lowlands include many a hill that make you think why they are called lowlands. It is such a rural area with even the major towns being fairly small. Get out there and explore the place

Back to Davesut's home page

Make sure you get past Gretna

Nothing wrong with Gretna but many people I have spoken to claim to have visited the area when all they have done is stopped off at Gretna for an hour or two before heading north. Head west for best! There is really loads to see around here - go in the summer to check out the great gardens - Logan was a favourite of ours on a past visit, many ruins of castles and even older stone circles

Where to stay

The biggest town is Dumfries yet cannot be called a metropolis.Known, like its football club, as "Queen of the South", Dumfries is an ancient town with a long and turbulent history. The River Nith flows through it with only two roads crossing the river with a few other footbridges - told you it wasn't that big. It has a few restaurants, cafes and traditional Scottish pubs to keep you going and dines out on Robbie (or is that Rabbie) Burns having lived there for a few years. A few museums and monuments reflect this and the town is very proud on that Burns heritage. Camera broke on the visit so have to rely on other photos :(
see www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/dumfries/ for more info

• Last visit to Dumfries and Galloway: Feb 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2008

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Caelavarock Castle looked intriguing to me....I wonder if its history is a dark one!

• Elena77's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Great tips, thanks for sharing. I think I finally have to put Scotland on my list of places to visit soon! :)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2008 at 2:39 PM

I have passed through this lovely area many times but your tips have convinced me to travel south sometime!

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Fabulous tips on the place I call home! I come from Dumfries, and that walk you describe, down to the Kingholm Quay goes past the house where I was born down to my Uncle's house.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2008 at 8:49 AM

David, gorgeous page about this fabulous region in Scotland. I especially like the photo of Portpatrick.

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2007 at 2:15 AM

Enjoyed reading your pages here. Loved the look of Portpatrick and amazing tip on the Travelodge hotels. Very good tip and have added it to my travel guide. Thanks...

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Dunsky castle is the name of the castle you can walk to from Portpatrick. We camped here. Keep going.....

davesut

“I have nothing to declare except my geekinus”

Badges & Stats in Dumfries and Galloway

Have you been to Dumfries and Galloway?