"Dumfries & Galloway-easily missed never forgotten" Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway by davesut
Dumfries and Galloway Travel Guide: 379 reviews and 814 photos
Dumfries and Galloway is an area of Scotland that few people appear to have visited. When mentioning to friends many appear to be besotted by Edinburgh, the festival and maybe the highlands yet I have found this a really beautiful part of the world. The Southern lowlands include many a hill that make you think why they are called lowlands. It is such a rural area with even the major towns being fairly small. Get out there and explore the place
Back to Davesut's home page
Nothing wrong with Gretna but many people I have spoken to claim to have visited the area when all they have done is stopped off at Gretna for an hour or two before heading north. Head west for best! There is really loads to see around here - go in the summer to check out the great gardens - Logan was a favourite of ours on a past visit, many ruins of castles and even older stone circles
The biggest town is Dumfries yet cannot be called a metropolis.Known, like its football club, as "Queen of the South", Dumfries is an ancient town with a long and turbulent history. The River Nith flows through it with only two roads crossing the river with a few other footbridges - told you it wasn't that big. It has a few restaurants, cafes and traditional Scottish pubs to keep you going and dines out on Robbie (or is that Rabbie) Burns having lived there for a few years. A few museums and monuments reflect this and the town is very proud on that Burns heritage. Camera broke on the visit so have to rely on other photos :(
see www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/dumfries/ for more info
Stopped off for tea in Stranraer and struggled to find somewhere to eat. Ended up at this place which was close to the... more travel advice
Another place to stop on the Queen's Way. Park up and a short walk to a viewpoint where you look out onto the side of... more travel advice
davesut's Related Pages
Dumfries and Galloway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dumfries and Galloway"
- "Dumfries and Galloway Again and Again"
- "Dumfries & Galloway-easily missed never forgotten"
- "DUMFRIES & GALLOWAY"
- "Castles, Forests, Cliffs and Sea"
- "Kirkcudbright Visit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dumfries and Galloway
- Hotels in Dumfries and Galloway
- Transportation in Dumfries and Galloway
- Nightlife in Dumfries and Galloway
- Restaurants in Dumfries and Galloway
- Shopping in Dumfries and Galloway
- Warnings and Dangers in Dumfries and Galloway
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dumfries and Galloway
- 12 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Dumfries and Galloway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dumfries and Galloway
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: Pre-loaded Currency Cards"
- updated a Dumfries and Galloway Travel Page "Dumfries & Galloway-easily missed never forgotten"
- Wrote a Review Great Fish and Chips in Dumfries and Galloway Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Great Fish and Chips"
- Commented on one of nickandchris's Dumfries and Galloway travel pages
Photos in Dumfries and GallowaySee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 16 reviews, 72 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos
- Prague Intro, 39 reviews, 35 photos
- Prcanj Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 29 reviews, 23 photos
- Florida Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- Manchester Intro, 3 reviews, 42 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Llandudno Intro, 15 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Algarve Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sölden Intro, 16 reviews, 24 photos