"I can resist everything except temptation" davesut's Profile

2012
Buttermere, Lake District
VT Camping day, Halifax, UK
Hombrechtikikon, Close to Zurich, Switzerland
New York

A link to the latest VT meets
joining the campers in Halifax July 2011 click here
Dolgellau click here
Euromeet 2010 click here
Myfanwe's Bala Lake Camping experience click here
JO 104's treasure hunt, London click here
Wild West Flanders May 2009 This way to Kortrijk
Link to manchester markets VT Meeting here

Travel is the key to broadening the mind but many people put it better than me. "A traveller without observation is a bird without wings." — Moslih Eddin Saadi but not a penguin!!
Perhaps the epitome of what VT is all about. I try to share some knowledge of the places that I have visited which others may find useful.
I hope pages are better quality as I have learned from the experience of posting on VT. I have updated many older pages but in many ways the moment has gone :(

"Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else." Lawrence Block
The best quote that summarises what I enjoy so much about travel. The unexpected, the chance of finding that small delightful place, a chance encounter. Strange that I create itineraries then my favourite days are those where I sit around and do very little.

"Do you think it's so snobbish, to want to see something besides one's fellow citizens abroad?" Dodsworth by Sinclair Lewis
I am not the most adventurous person on VT but I have progressed from two weeks in one place to the absolute need to explore a lot more and get to the nitty gritty. Time is the key to travel and how can you really feel you are part of somewhere in a few days? The truth is I cannot, but will continue dipping in and out as long as I have the energy to continue.

Places that I have fallen in love with

I cannot claim to be the most traveled of people but the countries that keep calling me back are Croatia and the USA . Croatia has this undiscovered quality about it that gives me this classic feeling of being a million miles away from anywhere but then close to everything. The islands, hills, beaches, towns have a distinctive Croatian flavour.
US for entirely a different reason. As an Englishman abroad I just find USA so easy to enjoy and the shear size means there is so much to see

Whilst working on VT I've noticed it is not often I get a photo taken of me when I'm smiling, my main photo is the best I can do. I see many pages with what I would describe a less informative tips than mine but they have many more hits/ratings. I'm thinking of superimposing my head onto a hot toned bod so that I get more hits (not that I need to superimpose of course)
Why have I not put my full DOB*
I've no problem with anyone knowing my age, I'm 43 years young, just a problem the fact that I look 43 on a good day with the wind behind me. I'm hoping the ID fraudsters cannot add up.

My travel companions

No chance of me jetting off on my own and to do everything that I want to do. My wife and daughter keep me more realistic. At least I got them to walk around in the snow in Ithaca and believe me, that took a lot of persuasion. Never mind, they keep me sane. Maybe they disagree

My life in travel

My life in travel can be split into two, the watershed being BC (Before Croatia). Before my first visit to Croatia I had travelled a little yet it was this trip to Dubrovnik that changed my approach. Hard to quantify but it was a visit that I knew would involve a bit of exploring of the Dalmatian coast. It was hardly off the beaten path compared to most, just that bit more adventurous than I had been before. I came across VT in my research as well, hey life has never been the same. It was a little while later that I got around to creating my first VT page of Dubrovnik .

My next trip was to visit friends close to Zurich where we visited Pilatus, Switzerland.], we have revisited Zurich a number of times.

Somewhere about this time we went to Florida where we visited Florida Keys and Billie Swamp Safari Off the beaten Path in Florida my favourite activity in Florida.

There was a return to Croatia a year or so later this time staying in Rovinj.

The next summer we decided we needed our next hot and sunny beach holiday and went for our first trip to Algarve and visited Saleema and Tavira and discovered my fave Algarve spots.

There was another trip to USA in March 2007 here we went to New Yorkand drove inland first to Ithaca and then Niagara Falls . I was very lucky to visit Grabouw in Western Cape, South Africa October 2007

Thrown in somewhere are a couple of visits to Prague

Most recent has been a visit to Lago di Garda and last summer my longest drive into Switzerland and then the Odenwald Forest including a great day in Heidelberg

Not forgetting a few short breaks in the wide variety of places that make Great Britain such a great place to live including Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, Seahouses in Northumberland and my attempt to use my VT flip-flops in Cleveleys, Lancashire and Llandudno, North Wales

Summer 2010 and back to Croatia visit to Dalmatia staying in Omis before moving on to Lake Bled, Slovenia

• Intro Updated Jun 28, 2012

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
davesut's Profile Photo

davesut

“I have nothing to declare except my geekinus”

Real Name