"A peek at the Peaks" Top 5 Page for this destination Peak District National Park by timlloydlangston

Peak District National Park Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 222 photos

A long weekend in January is definitely not enough to do The Peak District Park justice, but I thought it worth passing on some of my findings. I was based at the Waltzing Weasel hotel (see picture) which is just outside Hayfield (roughly halfway between Chapel en le Frith and Glossop). The weather was incredible with clear skies and views across the moors that simply went on forever. On the down side, it was January and the night-time temperatures had the brass monkeys worried! The simple solution was to nab a spot next to the open wood fire and spend the evening toasting our toes and quaffing beer.

Although the weather was great I still didn’t trust it enough to walk up onto the Peak. I don’t have the kit necessary to survive a sudden change in winter weather and would be mortally embarrassed if I had to be brought down by mountain rescue. Hence my tips and comments focus on what to do when not up the hills.

• Pros:wonderful scenery & plenty of pubs
  • Cons:you'll not be the only tourist - even in January
  • In a nutshell:Huge outdoor playground
  • Last visit to Peak District National Park: Jan 2005
  • Intro Written Jan 24, 2005

• RLFielding123A's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2006 at 10:09 PM

Thanks for the great pics, Tim. Next time you are in the Whalley Bridge area, try to get to the Roosedyche, a sort of Roman amphitheatre cum chariot racing stadium. Thanks Rob Fielding fieldingrob3@hotmail.com whatsnewintheworld.blogspot....

• eurotravels's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2005 at 1:03 PM

It's good to see inside the bedrooms at the Waltzing Weazel as we've enjoyed the food there.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2005 at 8:44 AM

excellent tips tim, I'll have to remenber some of them the next time I feel 'peaky'

timlloydlangston

“which way to the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Peak District National Park

Have you been to Peak District National Park?

Latest Activity in Peak District National Park