"Snowdonia" Top 5 Page for this destination Snowdonia by timlloydlangston
Snowdonia Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 539 photos
I've been visiting Snowdonia for nearly 30 years and I'm still finding new gems all the time - hence this page. It's not a long way for me to travel from Birmingham, but here you have mountains, rivers, waterfalls, lakes, coves and long sandy beaches, castles and steam trains all in one location. It's a great destination, whatever your age.
Snowdonia's natural beauty draws in the economic power for the region today, but the area has a strong inductrial past. Most obvious of these are the slate mines that bite gaping holes into the mountainsides and spew vast piles of waste down the valley. This may be considered unsightly by some, but take a walk round the Dinorwic quarry and you'll see both beauty and engineering ingenuity. Beneath this mountain is a modern engineering marvel, the Dinorwic power station, which funnels the contents of a lake down through the mountain to generate hydro-electricity during times of peak demand.
What I like about Snowdonia is there's always something you could do. When I was last there a thick layer of cloud covered the mountains one day. We headed for Anglesy where the sun shone all day and my daughter had a great time on the beach. If the weather gets even worse (and to be honest, it does quite often) there's plenty of castles to explore, museums and the sea zoo. For the ultimate hide-away from the weather you can go down the slate mines.
"Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" This is the classic Snowdon walk, but is not for the faint-hearted,... more travel advice
For me this is a personal favourtite way up Snowdon, approached from the Beddgelert side. It's fairly easy going to... more travel advice
timlloydlangston's Related Pages
Snowdonia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Snowdonia National Park"
- "Snowdonia's Splendid Scenery"
- "Snowdonia Splendour"
- "SNOWDON CLIMB"
- "Buzzards shriek............."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Snowdonia
- Hotels in Snowdonia
- Transportation in Snowdonia
- Nightlife in Snowdonia
- Restaurants in Snowdonia
- Shopping in Snowdonia
- Warnings and Dangers in Snowdonia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Snowdonia
- 11 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Snowdonia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Snowdonia
Photos in SnowdoniaSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snowdonia Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morzine Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peak District National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Belfast 7 reviews, 2 photos
- Stourbridge Intro, 6 reviews, 3 photos
- Châteaubriant Intro, 7 reviews, 1 photo
- London 6 reviews
- Cheltenham 5 reviews
- Peterborough 2 reviews, 1 photo