"Snowdonia" Top 5 Page for this destination Snowdonia by timlloydlangston

Snowdonia Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 540 photos

North Wales variety

I've been visiting Snowdonia for nearly 30 years and I'm still finding new gems all the time - hence this page. It's not a long way for me to travel from Birmingham, but here you have mountains, rivers, waterfalls, lakes, coves and long sandy beaches, castles and steam trains all in one location. It's a great destination, whatever your age.

Not just tourism

Snowdonia's natural beauty draws in the economic power for the region today, but the area has a strong inductrial past. Most obvious of these are the slate mines that bite gaping holes into the mountainsides and spew vast piles of waste down the valley. This may be considered unsightly by some, but take a walk round the Dinorwic quarry and you'll see both beauty and engineering ingenuity. Beneath this mountain is a modern engineering marvel, the Dinorwic power station, which funnels the contents of a lake down through the mountain to generate hydro-electricity during times of peak demand.

Flexibility

What I like about Snowdonia is there's always something you could do. When I was last there a thick layer of cloud covered the mountains one day. We headed for Anglesy where the sun shone all day and my daughter had a great time on the beach. If the weather gets even worse (and to be honest, it does quite often) there's plenty of castles to explore, museums and the sea zoo. For the ultimate hide-away from the weather you can go down the slate mines.

• Last visit to Snowdonia: Jul 2006
  • Intro Written Aug 7, 2006

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2008 at 4:44 AM

"my wife hates this path" - classic. And I know exactly what you mean !

• grishaV1's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2008 at 9:46 AM

I really loved your page, the intro made me very excited and wished to go immediately. It is a great dream to one day visit this part of Wales.

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Excellent tips on Snowdonia. There seems to be so many interesting paths to the summit of Snowdon. We're planning the horseshoe hike for our trip in August. The campsite you mention sounds like a great spot.

• Jan 22, 2007 at 9:21 AM

Excellent page and fabulous photos TIm.. but some of those hikes look a bit tooo strenuous! Think I'll stick to the South Downs for now - they are about my limit :))

• Pixiekatten's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2007 at 9:01 AM

Wonderful page! :)) The pics are absolutely breathtaking! Nice work!

timlloydlangston Visits Here Frequently!

timlloydlangston

“which way to the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Snowdonia

Have you been to Snowdonia?

Latest Activity in Snowdonia