"Caerdydd - Wales not England!" Cardiff by mafi_moya

Cardiff Travel Guide: 1,026 reviews and 2,977 photos

When I'm in the UK I've lived in Cardiff, the capital city of Wales, on and off for just over a decade now. In that time the city has changed so much.

A city built on coal and one of the world's most important 19th century ports, Cardiff attracted immigrants eager to make their fortune from all around the world. It's one of Britain's oldest multicultural cities. But after the coal industry was killed off, Cardiff became known across the country as a rough, depressing, industrial backwater. As one of my English friends put it once: "I came to Cardiff once. Everything was grey, it rained all the time, I got mugged, chased out of a pub by some locals, and a seagull crapped on me!"

But over the last few years Cardiff has rediscovered itself and become one of the most fashionable cities in Britain. It's even been a contender for European City of Culture a few times. The redevelopment of Cardiff Bay and the city centre has changed the face of the city for ever and attracted thousands of visitors.

Personally, I think it's also lost a lot of its original character - it's certainly not the Cardiff I grew up in any more.

• Last visit to Cardiff: Dec 2003
  • Intro Written Aug 10, 2004

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2005 at 5:13 PM

I've got to admit, I like a pub with a bit of character myself!! Maybe I should have got there the last time I was in Wales!

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2004 at 2:56 AM

Just dusted off the old baseball cap to go to Copa's didnt realize I cant wear it now !!!!! lol

• Elena_007's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2004 at 11:31 AM

Thanks for your comments on my London pages. I LOVE the castle! In England, I would say, "Look! There's a castle!" and the reply would be... "No, that's a church!"(LOL) I would love to know some "Welsh English" if you care to share. ;-) ~Elaine~

• BarbaraForza's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2004 at 2:37 AM

Great intro pic! Good tips as well...

mafi_moya

“"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito" - African Proverb”

Badges & Stats in Cardiff

Have you been to Cardiff?

Latest Activity in Cardiff