"Atbara" Atbara by mafi_moya
Atbara Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 24 photos
Have only ever stopped briefly in Atbara while passing through to somewhere else - it's that kind of place. There's not much reason to make a special trip here, but it is a very pleasant and quite relaxed, sleepy little town ideal for a quick visit. If you've got friends here to stay with then all the better.
As Sudanese towns go this one is quite famous. First and foremost, it's the centre of the Sudanese railway industry... or used to be anyway. Not many trains are made here (or anywhere else) nowadays. Trains still trundle through most days though, and the original station and unusual dome-shaped houses of railway workers remain. They're well worth a look.
Perhaps because of the influence of the railway unions, Atbara is also considered by many to be the home of Sudanese communism. Jaafar Nimeiri, Sudan's president throughout the 1970's, alternated between communism, rabid capitalism and Islamic fundamentalism - depending on who he was trying to get on his side and extract money from - and the communist phase had its stronghold around Atbara. Not that this has any real bearing on Atbara today, but it's just an interesting bit of history!
Like Khartoum further upstream, Atbara is also the confluence of two major rivers - in this case, the Nile and the Atbara river.
By private transport: Easy! Whether approaching from north or south, just follow the road running close to the Nile. By... more travel advice
mafi_moya's Related Pages
Atbara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Atbara...Train Graveyard"
- "Atbara- the former railway town"
- "Going north, going east"
- "Maqsood in Atbara"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Atbara
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Atbara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Atbara
Photos in AtbaraSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 49 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Marrakesh Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 38 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jerusalem Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ramallah Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 6 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues