"Table Mountain" Barkal by mafi_moya
Barkal Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 79 photos
The village of Barkal is like any other of the countless villages that line the banks of the Nile in Northern Sudan. It's small, quiet, surviving mainly through farming and the fertile lands by the river, and surrounded by desert. What makes this village special is the mountain dominating the skyline.
Jebal Barkal lies between Barkal village and the small town of Karima (see my separate Kuraymah page). It's instantly recognisable - Sudan's own version of Table Mountain. It's quite a lot smaller than the more famous South African version, although after hundreds of miles of nothing but flat desert it rises out of the sand like an equivalent of Mount Everest.
The mountain is of great historical and religious significance and is the focal point of the surrounding towns. It's been a holy site for thousands of years and even the ancient Egyptians worshipped here. At the foot of the mountain are the ruins of an ancient temple and a series of pyramids a short distance away in the desert.
Because they're so close the attractions of Barkal are pretty much the same as those of Karima and Merowe so if you're heading this way then please check my Kuraymah page out too. For more pics of the mountain and surrounding area, have a look at my travelogue on this page.
The climb to the top of the mountain - and getting back down again - is one of the best bits. On the Barkal village side... more travel advice
mafi_moya's Related Pages
Barkal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A World Heritage Site"
- "Table Mountain"
- "Jebal Barkal near Meroe"
- "Jebel Barkal"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barkal
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Barkal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barkal
Photos in BarkalSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 49 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Marrakesh Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 38 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jerusalem Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ramallah Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 6 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues