"Welcome to Mollywood!" Ouarzazate by mafi_moya
Ouarzazate Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 450 photos
Ouarzazate is the film centre of Morocco. Gladiator, Alexander the Great, Kundun, Jewel of the Nile... all have had parts filmed here at the Atlas film studios and the list goes on. It's also the new jewel in the crown of Moroccan tourism and is being heavily promoted with new developments and direct flights from Europe. So Ouarzazate is the country's glamour capital, where you can bump into Hollywood stars while you stroll down palm-tree avenues, sip tea, party in wild nightclubs and live it up in the luxury hotels? The Moroccan Los Angeles, right?
Well, err, no actually. The first thing I noticed here was the overwhelming silence - this is one of the quietest and most placid cities I've ever been to. Quite why it's being so heavily hyped up I'm not sure. True the location is ideal, close to the trekking areas of the Atlas Mountains, but there's nothing to really see in the city other than the deservedly famous and impressive Taourirt Kasbah. The city was created by the French colonialists as an administrative centre and that seems to have been its sole reason for being.
So it's not exactly the vibrant city you might expect, and there's little to see, but it's still a likeable little place. There are plenty of friendly locals and tea shops to sit in and chat and pass a few hours. There are wide French-style, tree-lined boulevards, and ochre coloured buildings. And the magnificent kasbah is one of the largest in the region.
Two restaurants in Ouarzazate that always pull in the tourists are Restaurant Le Kasbah, unsurprisingly located right... more travel advice
mafi_moya's Related Pages
Ouarzazate Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ouarzazate and the South Oasis Region"
- "Ouarzazate - The Door of The Desert"
- "Ouarzazate, kasbah's and the desert 2004"
- "Between Palm Valleys"
- "Lovely city with plenty to do"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ouarzazate
- Hotels in Ouarzazate
- Transportation in Ouarzazate
- Nightlife in Ouarzazate
- Restaurants in Ouarzazate
- Shopping in Ouarzazate
- Warnings and Dangers in Ouarzazate
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ouarzazate
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Ouarzazate?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ouarzazate
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 49 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Marrakesh Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 38 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jerusalem Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ramallah Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 6 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Ouarzazate hotel reviews
- Riad Salam Ouarzazate
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 18, 2013
- Le Berbere Palace
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Kenzi Azghor
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel Le Fint
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Les Jardins de Ouarzazate
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 12, 2013
- Le Petit Riad
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 4, 2012
- Zaghro Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2012