"Enemies in the City of the Friend" Top 5 Page for this destination Hebron by mafi_moya
Hebron Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 88 photos
Whether in Hebrew (Hevron) or Arabic (Al Khalil) the name of this ancient city means 'The Friend'.
The friend in question is father Abraham, one of the most revered figures in Judaism, Islam and Christianity, and his burial place here makes the city one of the most volatile and hotly contested in Palestine.
I don't know how anybody - Jew, Muslim, atheist or whatever - can visit Hebron and not feel profoundly depressed, angry and upset. But while it was miserable it was also incredibly fascinating. This is the heart of bible country and the town and the surrounding hills are full of thousands of years of history and legends. Unfortunately, while plenty of religious sites are still to be seen, it's the modern realities of the Israel-Palestine conflict that dominate any visit these days.
It's a bit of a cliche to say this on a travel site but Hebron really is a tale of two cities - one under the control of Israel, one the Palestinian Authority.
The Palestinian city is your typical bustling, chaotic Arab town. It's poor but it's full of life. The colourful old-fashioned souk dominates the city centre, but then almost right in the middle of the market the road closes and you're faced with a huge concrete tower and a military checkpoint. The other side, under Israeli military control, might as well be a whole new world - everything is deserted, the streets are empty. There's no traffic, few people, no animals - just soldiers, tanks, barbed wire and mile after mile of closed shops.
It's quite a chilling place and for the Palestinian kids who live in this bleak military zone it's easy to see why many become so completely desperate and devoid of hope.
Hebron is an ancient city in a part of the world that stretches back for thousands of years. Just northeast of the Tomb... more travel advice
From Israel the easiest way to get to Hebron is from Jerusalem. Catch bus number 21 from the main street right outside... more travel advice
Written Jan 19, 2005
Written Jan 20, 2005
Inside the Tomb of Abraham
mafi_moya's Related Pages
Hebron Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Enemies in the City of the Friend"
- "Hebron City"
- "City of Jewish Forefathers"
- "The City where I learned the meaning of Injustice"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hebron
- Transportation in Hebron
- Restaurants in Hebron
- Warnings and Dangers in Hebron
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hebron
- 12 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Hebron?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hebron
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 49 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Marrakesh Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 38 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jerusalem Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ramallah Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 6 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues