"An Indian Ocean Melting Pot" Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo by mafi_moya
Colombo Travel Guide: 389 reviews and 812 photos
For the year and a half that I lived in Sri Lanka, Colombo was my home city and I got to know it very well. It took a while but slowly I grew to like it... and eventually maybe even love it!
Most tourists, though, seem to hate it and get out as soon as possible to explore the rest of the fabulous island. And I do kind of see their point: why waste time sweating and breathing in fumes on Galle Road when you can see the beautiful hill country or laze about on golden beaches? But, rather than condemning the city as soon as you arrive, like many large capital cities it grows on you if you have the time and patience to let it. It's also a fascinating blend of cultures from all over the globe.
A sprawling city of 2 million people, it was founded on the banks of the Kelani river and spread along the coast looking out onto the Indian Ocean. And any capital city where you can sit on a beach and watch the incredible blood-red Indian Ocean sunset can't be all that bad!!
Best thing about the city is its fascinating blend of cultures and religions - there are mosques, churches, temples, Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Christians and more. The city's history as a port and the country's unique location brought ships and goods from all over the world.
The vibrant ethnic mix continues in its colonial heritage - unlike most countries, with one dominant colonial power, Colombo has been run in turn by the Dutch, Portuguese, British, and of course the Sri Lankans themselves. Arab traders have also been coming here for centuries and have added their own influence. This makes for a unique blend of Europe and Asia that shines through in the architecture, food, place names, street names, even the names and lifestyles of the people.
Ok, it's not the most exciting city in the world but with the peace process still intact Colombo is becoming a lot livelier and there is a growing sense of vibrancy and optimism on the busy streets. It's also much safer than most people would have you believe. True in places it's dirty, chaotic and crowded, but compared to most South Asian cities it's almost serene and the beaches and parks are very attractive. Besides, there are beautiful stretches of coast so close and Sri Lanka is so small that nearly everywhere is within easy reach.
Another unique aspect of Colombo is its layout. The city is dominated by the Galle Road, the backbone that runs from Colombo all the way along the coast down to the southern city of Galle. Whereas most cities have an easily defined centre, Colombo has spread for miles along the sea. The closest thing it has to a centre, the area called Fort, became a target for suicide bombers, so unsurprisingly much activity moved elsewhere!
The areas of Colombo are numbered as well as named, which does make it easier for tourists. Although I prefer using the names rather than numbers as Colombo has some of the most deliciously exotic sounding suburbs of any city in the world! So Fort is Colombo 1, Slave Island is Colombo 2, Kolupittiya is Colombo 3, and so on. These areas all have their own unique personalities, from the colourful and crowded markets of Pettah to the leafy upper class Cinammon Gardens, the shopping district of Bambalapittiya and residential areas such as Borella.
As I lived here I've got rather a lot to say about the place! So please bear with me - this page is definitely nowhere near finished but I'll keep adding to it as often as I can.
- Pros:Fascinatingly diverse inhabitants and cultures, Indian Ocean setting
- Cons:Not really the most beautiful city in the world
- In a nutshell:Stay a while - you might just like it!
This temple, floating on the middle of Beira Lake, is one of Sri Lanka's more unusal temples. After the original 19th... more travel advice
Even if you've only got a few days in Sri Lanka Colombo makes an ideal base to get a taste of the rest of the country.... more travel advice
- See All Colonial shopping!
- The rest of the city
- See All Bus etiquette
- See All Havelock Place Bungalow
mafi_moya's Related Pages
Colombo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Indian Ocean Melting Pot"
- "Under construction, please be patient."
- "Colombo the city where i live"
- "Colombo - the Main city of Sri Lanka"
- "...city of contrasts..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Colombo
- Hotels in Colombo
- Transportation in Colombo
- Nightlife in Colombo
- Restaurants in Colombo
- Shopping in Colombo
- Warnings and Dangers in Colombo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colombo
- 38 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Colombo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colombo
Photos in ColomboSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 49 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Marrakesh Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 38 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jerusalem Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ramallah Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 6 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues