Kandy Hotel Tips by mafi_moya Top 5 Page for this destination
Kandy Hotels: 15,117 reviews and 82 photos
About 20 miles out of Kandy at Elkaduwa is the Hunas Falls Hotel. If you like nature and relaxation then this is definitely the place for you. This is the tea country in its traditional form - the hotel is in an old spice and tea plantation, surrounded by hills, forests and cascading waterfalls.
Towering above the hotel and the Falls is Hunasgiriya Peak, which can be climbed if you've got a day to spare. There are plenty of shorter family walks up to Simpson's Forest as well. On the way the forests are full of rare birds and animals. If you prefer something a bit less strenous there's a mini golf course and the lakes are full of trout.
Unique Qualities: The rooms and facilities are all good, but the surroundings are what makes this place special.
Comparison: more expensive than average
As I've found somewhere I really like I tend to stay there whenever I go to Kandy. But from talking to other people (locals and tourists) some other places keep being named and I'll list some recommendations here. Remember the recommendations aren't mine so don't blame me if anything's wrong!
Most top-end hotels are outside the city itself. Le Kandyan, about 7kms towards Peradeniya, is based on a traditional Kandyan palace and gets great reviews, as do Hunas Falls (in the hills about 30kms from Kandy) and Mahaweli Reach (near Katugastota). In the town, try Suisse on the south side of the lake, but it's nowhere near as good as what's on offer a few miles out.
Helga's Folly at the southeast end of the lake is unique, charming and slightly eccentric (someone once told me "If Salvador Dali designed hotels, this would be it!")
The Expediton on Saranankara Rd (south of lake) is extremely friendly and can arrange good tours (also refuses to do business with touts); also the close-by Freedom Lodge. The Olde Empire Hotel has some basic rooms - next to the Temple of the Tooth and with a very charming colonial lakeside verandah. Apparently this is very popular with backpackers.
The wonderful view
Perhaps the best value for money place I've stayed at in Sri Lanka. Rooms cost about 600 rupees (6 dollars) per night, including a delicious breakfast. The staff are very friendly, they can arrange a pick up from the train station if you phone ahead, there are usually other tourists to meet, and the rooms are spotlessly clean and comfy with private hot-water bathrooms.
Best of all though is the stunning view - probably the best in Kandy (even better than the top end hotels). The two front rooms (there are only about 8 in total) have full length windows so you can wake up in bed and look straight out over Kandy Lake. You'll need to book ahead for these though - if you miss out there's a balcony to sit on. Great for a book and a beer watching the sunset.
Address: Rajaphilla Mawatha, south side of the lake
Theme: Bed and Breakfast
More Reviews (9)
mafi_moya's Related Pages
Kandy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE CITY OF KANDY."
- "Kandy - Last of the Sinhalese Kingdom"
- "hell is a piece of earth"
- "Green hills and orange skies"
- "Kandy, Capital of the Hill Country"
- "Capital of Hill Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kandy
- Hotels in Kandy
- Transportation in Kandy
- Nightlife in Kandy
- Restaurants in Kandy
- Shopping in Kandy
- Warnings and Dangers in Kandy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kandy
- 12 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Kandy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kandy
Read real reviews about Kandy Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 49 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Marrakesh Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 38 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jerusalem Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ramallah Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 6 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues