"Green hills and orange skies" Top 5 Page for this destination Kandy by mafi_moya
Kandy Travel Guide: 303 reviews and 715 photos
Kandy is Sri Lanka's second city, its cultural capital, and the first stop for most tourists eager to escape Colombo for the beauty of the hill country. Built around a stunning lake, the city is the spiritual home of the Sinhalese people and Sri Lankan Buddhism, and a potent symbol of national pride and identity. The annual Esala Perahera, with its colourful parades of illuminated elephants, is one of the country's most famous sights.
As with many Sri Lankan cities there is a terrific sense of history - the Kandyan empire was one of Sri Lanka's greatest and held out for centuries against the foreign colonialists while the rest of the country succumbed. More than once the British and Dutch took the city, only to be shortly kicked back out again. The Kandyan people are widely revered as the true Sinhalese, sometimes seen as a cut above the rest.
It is also a city of tremendous religious significance: a hotbed of Buddhist political power and home to the famous Temple of the Tooth - the sacred tooth in question being Buddha's. This temple and the Royal Palace close by have formed the heart of the city for centuries - the Portuguese and Dutch in particular deliberately targeted the temple and the tooth inside, believing that if it was captured or destroyed so too would the spirit of the people be broken.
The famous "Last King of Kandy" was Sri Vikrama Rajasinha, who built much of modern Kandy and constructed the lake which now dominates the city. Ironically, given the Buddhist and Sinhala connections, much of his family was apparently Tamil! Such was his extravagance and penchant for slave labour that in 1815 his subjects surrendered to the British rather than stay loyal to their tyrant king, and Kandy was finally in foreign hands for the next century and more.
The history is fascinating, as is understanding Kandy's importance to the whole country. The lake is beautiful and the setting is incredible and the town has a lot of charm. But to me this doesn't make up for the over-commercialism of many of the city's main attractions and the difficulty a foreigner has in walking around the centre without being hassled for money by beggars, guides, con-men and whoever else. It's also very crowded and congested.
Kandy is at the top of nearly every tourist's 'must do' list. There are definitely enough positives to make it a worthwhile visit - but if you've got a tight schedule then I can think of several Sri Lankan towns and cities I'd recommend over this one.
- Pros:Beautiful lake, stunning natural setting and fascinating history
- Cons:Too many touts and tourists
- In a nutshell:The most famous but not the best
About 20 miles out of Kandy at Elkaduwa is the Hunas Falls Hotel. If you like nature and relaxation then this is... more travel advice
The Esala Perahera in Kandy is far and away the biggest and most important of all Sri Lankan perahera festivals. Held in... more travel advice
mafi_moya's Related Pages
Kandy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE CITY OF KANDY."
- "hell is a piece of earth"
- "Kandy - Last of the Sinhalese Kingdom"
- "Green hills and orange skies"
- "Kandy, Capital of the Hill Country"
- "Capital of Hill Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kandy
- Hotels in Kandy
- Transportation in Kandy
- Nightlife in Kandy
- Restaurants in Kandy
- Shopping in Kandy
- Warnings and Dangers in Kandy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kandy
- 12 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Kandy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kandy
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 49 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Marrakesh Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 38 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jerusalem Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ramallah Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 6 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues