Mount Lavinia Hotel Tips by mafi_moya
Mount Lavinia Hotels: 1,361 reviews and 2 photos
Of all the excellent hotels in Sri Lanka this could well be my favourite. I like luxury sure, but I also like a hotel to have character and a unique feeling. Mount Lavinia is a beautiful old colonial hotel - complete with marble floors, wood pannelling and white pillars - perched over the Indian Ocean with miles of golden sands each side.
Originally the love-nest of British colonial governor Sir Thomas Maitland (where he could entertain his lower-class dancing girl lover in secret) after independence it became one of the country's most luxurious hotels. It's now surpassed on that front by numerous others but it's still a very comfortable 4 star hotel. Perhaps inspired by its origins, it's a very popular place for weddings and honeymoons. Watching the fiery ocean sunset from the terrace is certainly quite romantic!
The public beach outside gets very lively on weekends and there are lots of seafood restaurants nearby, but if the touts and crowds get too much for you, or you want to wear something a bit more revealing, then the hotel has an isolated private beach as well. The terrace is great for a sunny afternoon drink and there's a good pool if the sea gets rough. They sometimes show films on the terrace as well.
Mount Lavinia is officially an independent town but effectively an extra suburb of Colombo, so if you want to stay near the capital then this is an ideal place to come.
Unique Qualities: Trivia fact: Somerset Maugham wrote a lot of his work here, sitting on his balcony and staring out over the ocean. Other famous guests include Gregory Peck and genocidal colonial maniac King Leopold of Belgium.
Address: Hotel Road, Mount Lavinia
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Head south along Galle Road, or along the beachfront, and it's well signposted
mafi_moya's Related Pages
Mount Lavinia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Two relaxing days in Mount Lavinia"
- "Take me home, Mount Lavinia"
- "Mount Lavinia"
- "MOUNT LAVINIA"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Inns Of America Suites Carlsbad
- Hotel Ritz
- Courtyard By Marriott Lake Buena Vista In The Marriott Village
- Mahkota Hotel Melaka
- Imperial Hotel London
- Grand Paradise Highway Hotel Gunung Semanggol
- Park Plaza Beijing Wangfujing
- Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa
- Corbett Tiger Den Resort
- St. Marks Hotel
- Tamarind Tree Hotel
- Quality Inn Plattsburgh
- Embassy Suites Hotel' Dorado del Mar Beach & Golf Resort
- Soudersburg Motel
Badges & Stats in Mount Lavinia
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Mount Lavinia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Lavinia
Photos in Mount LaviniaSee All Photos (2)
Read real reviews about Mount Lavinia Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 49 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Marrakesh Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 38 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jerusalem Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ramallah Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 6 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues