"Beaches and blown up buildings" Nilaveli by mafi_moya
Nilaveli Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 11 photos
Nilaveli is one of Sri Lanka's most famous and rapidly growing beach resorts. Which comes as a surprise when you drive up the road from Trincomalee past the heavily armed military posts, giant rubbish tip and numerous shells of bombed-out buildings. The sparse surrounding countryside is hardly appealing either, having been torched to prevent the tall grasses and trees being used as cover for guerillas. These sights remain today but their causes are hopefully being consigned to history and the area is increasingly open to tourism. Once you leave the highway and hit the golden sands and clear water all that is out of sight and easily forgotten.
The Nilaveli Beach Hotel is a bit of an institution in Sri Lanka, having stayed open throughout the war for those with a sense of adventure. But now new hotels are springing up and a five star luxury hotel is being planned. The beach is also becoming more crowded - not just with Germans and Brits but also with Sri Lankans taking advantage of the new opportunities of peacetime. It remains a fantastic beach but many people feel it's inferior to Arugam Bay and others on the south coast. Pigeon Island on the horizon is an interesting trip, and the town of Trinco is easily accessible if you've had enough of sunbathing.
mafi_moya's Related Pages
Nilaveli Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nilaveli Beach"
- "Wonderful beach...but if it rains..."
- "Beaches and blown up buildings"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nilaveli
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Nilaveli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nilaveli
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 49 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Marrakesh Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 38 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jerusalem Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ramallah Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 6 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues