"The best beach in the world?" Top 5 Page for this destination Unawatuna by mafi_moya

Unawatuna Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 150 photos

A recent opinion poll by Emirates Airlines declared Unawatuna to be the best beach in the world. As they're currently pushing Sri Lanka as a new up-and-coming holiday destination it's easy to be cynical, and I'm not really sure what makes this any better than countless beaches in Southeast Asia or even some of its competitors in Sri Lanka itself. But, titles aside, nobody can deny that Unawatuna Bay is simply stunning.

A secluded horse-shoe bay and traditional fishing village on the south coast, nearby the historic city of Galle, it's a blossoming destination for tourists, particularly backpackers, although so far it's avoided being invaded by the foreign hordes and rampant commercialism of rivals and predecessors to the 'best in the world' tag. I have to admit here that, while I enjoy the natural beauty of beaches and love being by the sea, I'm not really a 'beach person'. Give me a few cold beers and a good book and I can happily spend a few hours on the sand followed by a good swim, but whole days of sunbathing and lounging on the beach doesn't really appeal. So my trips to Unawatuna tend to be enjoyable but brief. There may be some equally nice beaches further east but Unawatuna's proximity to Galle gives a bit of respite when you get bored of doing nothing but soaking up the sun.

Is it the best beach in the world? I really have no idea and am probably not the best person to ask - as far as I'm concerned one empty beach with golden sands and crystal clear waters looks much like another. It's beautiful, good for swimming, not too crowded and has fabulous seafood - all my requirements in a beach. Best or not, it is definitely worth a visit.

• Last visit to Unawatuna: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 2, 2003

Comments

mafi_moya

“"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito" - African Proverb”

Badges & Stats in Unawatuna

Have you been to Unawatuna?

Latest Activity in Unawatuna