"The best beach in the world?" Top 5 Page for this destination Unawatuna by mafi_moya
Unawatuna Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 142 photos
A recent opinion poll by Emirates Airlines declared Unawatuna to be the best beach in the world. As they're currently pushing Sri Lanka as a new up-and-coming holiday destination it's easy to be cynical, and I'm not really sure what makes this any better than countless beaches in Southeast Asia or even some of its competitors in Sri Lanka itself. But, titles aside, nobody can deny that Unawatuna Bay is simply stunning.
A secluded horse-shoe bay and traditional fishing village on the south coast, nearby the historic city of Galle, it's a blossoming destination for tourists, particularly backpackers, although so far it's avoided being invaded by the foreign hordes and rampant commercialism of rivals and predecessors to the 'best in the world' tag. I have to admit here that, while I enjoy the natural beauty of beaches and love being by the sea, I'm not really a 'beach person'. Give me a few cold beers and a good book and I can happily spend a few hours on the sand followed by a good swim, but whole days of sunbathing and lounging on the beach doesn't really appeal. So my trips to Unawatuna tend to be enjoyable but brief. There may be some equally nice beaches further east but Unawatuna's proximity to Galle gives a bit of respite when you get bored of doing nothing but soaking up the sun.
Is it the best beach in the world? I really have no idea and am probably not the best person to ask - as far as I'm concerned one empty beach with golden sands and crystal clear waters looks much like another. It's beautiful, good for swimming, not too crowded and has fabulous seafood - all my requirements in a beach. Best or not, it is definitely worth a visit.
As well as sun and seafood, one thing Unawatuna is not short of is accomodation. There are plenty of guesthouses - some... more travel advice
There really isn't much to do in Unawatuna other than top up your tan and relax. The village itself is very quiet and... more travel advice
mafi_moya's Related Pages
Unawatuna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An ideal location to relax at"
- "Beach time!"
- "The best beach in the world?"
- "One of the worlds best beaches?"
- "Beach life..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Unawatuna
- Hotels in Unawatuna
- Transportation in Unawatuna
- Nightlife in Unawatuna
- Restaurants in Unawatuna
- Shopping in Unawatuna
- Warnings and Dangers in Unawatuna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Unawatuna
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Unawatuna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Unawatuna
Photos in UnawatunaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 52 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 49 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Marrakesh Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 38 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jerusalem Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ramallah Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 6 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues