"More than 1000 years old city" Top 5 Page for this destination Velikiy Novgorod by musbars
Velikiy Novgorod Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 244 photos
This city is more than 1,000 years old. At one time it competed with Moscow for domination of Old Russia. Today, it's primarily modern and industrial but still retains a well-preserved Kremlin and old city center. See St. Sofia Cathedral (begun in 1045, with six domes) and the city's other ancient churches, which are concentrated in the Yaroslav Estate across the Volkhov River from the Kremlin. Two-hour river cruises are offered from a dock just south of the Kremlin. Also in town is the apartment where physician/dissident Andrei Sakharov lived in exile. Just outside of Novgorod is the Vitoslavlitsy Museum of Wooden Architecture, which has about two dozen wooden structures, all built without nails. Novgorod can be reached by rail or air from St. Petersburg or Moscow (the town is closer to St. Petersburg). 100 mi/160 km southeast of St. Petersburg.
- Pros:So many churches, very rich of history
South of Novgorod and not far from the outlying Iur'ev Monastery is an outdoor museum of wooden architecture. It is one... more travel advice
Just south of the Novgorod Kremlin today on a hill overlooking the Volkhov is an imposing memorial to the brave soldiers... more travel advice
musbars' Related Pages
Velikiy Novgorod Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Velikiy Novgorod"
- "More than 1000 years old city"
- "Novgorod the Great"
- "Novgorod, an attractive city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Velikiy Novgorod
- Hotels in Velikiy Novgorod
- Transportation in Velikiy Novgorod
- Nightlife in Velikiy Novgorod
- Restaurants in Velikiy Novgorod
- Shopping in Velikiy Novgorod
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Velikiy Novgorod
- 15 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Velikiy Novgorod?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Velikiy Novgorod
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 50 reviews, 91 photos
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Lauderdale Intro, 22 reviews, 30 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos
- Florida Keys Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- The Bahamas Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Naples Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Montreal Intro, 7 reviews, 21 photos