"The Hidden Wonders of Salzburg - A MUST SEE!" Top 5 Page for this destination Salzburg by WrigleyTodd

Salzburg Travel Guide: 2,584 reviews and 5,957 photos

The Most Magical City of Salzburg

I lived in Salzburg for four months in 1998. Salzburg is arguably the most beautiful city in the world... and is so during all seasons, even winter.

What makes Salzburg so great is how intimate it is -- everything is in close proximity and can be managed by foot.

In my four months in Salzburg, I never took the Sound of Music tour -- heck, my college was located in what used to be the horse stables of Schloss Leopoldskron, so I used to study on the grass outside the mansion and on the edge of the lake where the canoe tipped over in the movie. I walked from the city centre to the schloss everyday.

I never went into Mozart's birthplace either. I ate and walked by it every day, but never went in. From what I hear, it is a small house, with small decorations -- nothing exciting. Oh, but wait, that is where Mozart slept! If that last sentence is the type of stuff that interests you, then go for it.

Salzburg has plenty to see and do, so I never felt the need to do the more "touristy" stuff. Salzburg can be "done" in two days, but if you can afford more time in the city, I highly recommend it.

While Salzburg isn't as happening as a Prague or London, there are still good times to be had. Salzburg has some amazing bars/pubs and some equally amazing beers to serve. Dancers can find a couple solid choices.

Finally, the city has many hidden treasures with unique stories. My pages are a great start to an upcoming trip to the most magical city of Salzburg.

Be careful, Salzburg sucks you in and spits you out an Austrian. After Salzburg, there's nothing else. I wish I spoke German so I could move to Salzburg permanently. I hope you enjoy my Salzburg tips and I hope you love Salzburg as much as I do.

QUICK TIPS:
"Gruss Gott" = the common hello. Be prepared to hear that in every shop.

Getreidegasse restaurant hop = walk from one end of Getreidegasse to the other, stopping in each restaurant or cafe and having one small portion of a meal -- appetizer, soup, salad, dessert, main course, etc. You'll experience a lot more of the city and have one complete meal at the same time. Well worth the experience.

The secret crowning of Mary = In front of the cathedral is a large statue of Mary. Go stand in front of the cathedral, in front of Mary so you can see the cathedral behind her and walk backwards through the arches until Mary looks small enough like she could walk through the doors of the cathedral. Then, with Mary directly in front of you and positioned in the middle of your cathedral sight, walk slowly forward and notice the golden crown on the cathedral behind Mary slowly move down onto Mary's head as the stutue gets larger and larger in your sight. The crowning of Mary is an architectural secret or quirk that most people don't know about . Pretty neat for about a minute or two.

Take the audio tour in the Fortress = But don't waste too much time up there because you'll miss all the good stuff down below. Use the tour to become acquainted with the city and head back down.

Walk to the Schloss = Leopoldskron that is. Where parts of the Sound of Music was filmed. You can walk there from the city centre. Just have a good map and a good sense of direction and you'll find it in 20/25 minutes -- if you walk as fast as I do.

Restaurant guide = expect to sit close to others, close your menu in order to get served, only tip 10 percent, the bread may not be free, etc.

If you like these tips and suggestions, and want more, czech out my travel pages. Thanks for visiting!

• Last visit to Salzburg: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 8, 2004

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Great Salzburg pages. We're heading there next year and will go through in more detail to make use of your tips. Thanks!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2010 at 2:05 AM

I hope to make it to Salzburg soon. Ciao!

• Aug 14, 2008 at 7:08 AM

Hi, do you know the prices for these trips? Thanks.

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Very useful pages for our forthcoming brief visit to this beautiful city.Thank you!

• Openseas's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 6:38 PM

fab tips thank you !

• Jan 3, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Great Tips I am looking forward to my trip in October 2008

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2007 at 7:35 AM

Great pages on Salzburg. I'll be visiting in August so your tips have come in handy. Cheers.

• dongix's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 7:43 AM

My wife and I and our daughter will be in Salzburg in June. Your Salzburg pages were really of great help. Thanks so much

• seminolejen's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2006 at 6:29 PM

I am planning a trip to Austria in October and I have been reading your travel tips.

• amyf's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2004 at 3:55 PM

Thanks for all the great tips! I am printing them out and taking them with me on our trip. :)

WrigleyTodd

“Two roads diverged in the woods, and I took the one with the best restaurants along the way.”

Badges & Stats in Salzburg

Have you been to Salzburg?

Friends