"Chios-My Native Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Chios by sinequanon

Chios Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 155 photos

for many people the name of Chios is equivalent to the mastic gum and the mastic tree. for non Greeks, this is a tree that grows only on Chios at the south part of the island, so the island is unique in this sense.

But when I think of Chios whole fields of wild blood red tulips come to mind and days of late March lying on green fields surrounded by these little fires.

Chios is the island of my childhood and youth, loaded with tender memories, first heartbeats, frendships, first experiences, as well as sad and dark nightmares.

I was never a tourist there, so as it usually happens I have taken the island to a certain extend for granted. For example I have very few pictures of it. And believe me the place is very photogenic.

It is only in the last few years that the island has become a tourist destination. The economy originally depended on the sailors, Chiots are well known for their skills at sea but also for their enterprises. Most of the Greek shipowners come from this island.

The turn to tourism was the result of the economic crisis of shipping and the loss of many jobs to other nationalities.

Today a considerably small part of the island is surrendered to mass tourism while the most beautiful of its spots are still totally unspoiled.

this is a big island, so you can be spoilt for choice really. Just remember to avoid the town. Big and noisy retains little of its old provincial charm and slow pace. Most of its beautiful neoclassical buildings gave way to ugly appartment blocks and the traffic is notorious, getting worse every year.

My favourite part of the island is the north west, basically a mountain called Amani and all the villages built on its slopes. Today, there are very few inhabitants left, most of them emmigrated to America and Australia for a better future. The land is hard, the soil barren. The few that you find today, mainly old in age, though, are the best example of Chiot hospitality. Simple and welcoming people.

The views from the area are fantastic, the sunsets magnificent, the sea clear and cold.

• Pros:Lots.....
  • Cons:Lots.....
  • In a nutshell:my native island....
  • Intro Updated Mar 19, 2006

• spgood301's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Right now it's mostly travelling for work...hope I can get away soon though! Where have you been lately, Gala?

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2008 at 9:39 AM

That really is a "disturbing" travelogue, but otherwise your native island sounds like a beautiful place. Great sunset photo on Managros Beach! And that's a very fine New Year's Eve custom.

• Jan 25, 2008 at 1:03 AM

interesting pages! and never knew my name can be originally greek! greetings of irini from arabia:^)

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2007 at 9:14 AM

You will make more Tourists go, you make it sound so good!

• FAIRYCHIMNEY's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2007 at 4:37 AM

i ve drunk off the latest drop from my Chios Ouzo....wondering when i will have the next bottle :)))

• Sep 15, 2006 at 9:14 PM

I put a "off the beaten path" tip about Emporios and then I see your comment "Emborios is far from a beaten path destination!". :D It was July when I visited so maybe I'll have to change my tips... Great page by the way.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2006 at 8:44 AM

Wonderful. Very descriptive and evocative tips.

• gale.blog.pl's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2006 at 1:23 AM

Galatea, I found your tips on Chios adorable :-) The island is on my personal wish list and I believe that some day I'll have the opportunity to see the places mentioned on your Chios pages...

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2006 at 4:57 AM

Any news from Captain Costa?

• drolkar's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2006 at 12:43 AM

Hmm... yes, I guess my Texans took all the warmth and sun away with them !! Chios looks absolutely lovely: sea and syrtos, who could ask for more? :) (Why am I not there right now ?!)

sinequanon

“no motto at the moment”

Badges & Stats in Chios