"Barangay Pundaquit" Top 5 Page for this destination Pundaquit by high_d

Pundaquit Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 240 photos

Capones & Camera Islands

Travel notes

This was my first-ever visit to this wonderful province of Zambales. It was actually a spur-of-the moment decision that my cousins and I decided to drive there from our hometown province of Bulacan. It would be a nice day-trip we all said... Even though we started out around 5 a.m., I think it took us at least a good four hours drive or so, considering we got into some traffic. One of my cousins has a friend who lives in the village of Pundaquit. He had been here before and was enticing us about islands with white sand beaches off the Pundaquit coast. I have always love islands and beaches. One of my travel wish list is to at least visit a white-sand beach so here was my chance...

In the small town of San Antonio, Zambales, an hour north of Subic, you can catch a Jeepney heading southwest to a small fishing village called Pundaquit. We drove to Brgy.Pundaquit but asked around for directions at the village proper since the winding roads were a bit circuitous. The scenic route on the way to the coast was idyllic provincial life. The majestic Zambales mountains stayed on our left as we passed by a little river. On its rocky banks were charming little bamboo sheds. Next scenery, a peaceful-looking bamboo hut on the side of the road. The laid back lifestyle was how I remembered Philippines.

There are resorts at Pundaquit Bay if you planned to stay over for a night or two. However, since this was just a daytrip, we met up with my cousin's friend. Their family home was only a few yards away from the beach. A rooster and a couple of dogs greeted us. My cousin's friend had a little bamboo picnic shed on the beach and everyone was ready for a late breakfast. After, my cousin and his friend went off to find a boatman to take us to the Capones & Camera islands. We stayed behind and walked around Pundaquit Bay. There were other tourists but maybe not more than a family or two. We saw more of the local fishermen tending to their nets. Soon, my cousin and his friend found a boatman who agreed to take us on his bangka (boat) and off we went ...

Everyone was just giddy seeing the sea and gazed offshore at the islands of Capones and Camera in the distance.

There are three islands on the horizon at the beach at Pundaquit. Capones island (aka the Island of Grand Capon) is actually farther off shore about 5+ km. I have read that Capones is an extremely narrow island and about two miles in lenght. The Camera Islands are much closer at only 2km offshore. These islands lie on the Northeastern side of Capones. Unfortunately, we were only able to go to Camera Islands (pls.see my Warnings/Danger tip). The Camera islands are **actually two rock outcroppings connected by a sandy beach. These islands contain** the most extensive and abundant coral group throughout these chains. Sadly, due to illegal dynamite fishing, some of the coral reefs are badly damaged.

**source:www.environmentalprotectionofasia.com

• Pros:Beautiful islands off the coast
  • In a nutshell:Loved it! Will definitely come back here
  • Last visit to Pundaquit: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 27, 2006

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Such a pity when people leave their trash behind on these lovely beaches. Hope you don't mind me asking, but if you would like to return ratings, please visit my Praque page. Thanks ;-)

• Apr 30, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Chocolate Festival will be like sampling a lot of chocolates as you visit the building. There will be a workshop on how to make the belgian pralines. It costs €10 to get inside.

• MikeStarr5's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2007 at 7:09 PM

Excellent 5 star tips and pics - well done - Mike in London's forgotten historic suburb, namely "Barking Town"

• shintarojon's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2007 at 4:21 PM

baka may time ka lang po...just wanna share this site with u...jp.youtube.com/watch?v=7RQKy...

• matt10gonzalez's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2007 at 12:42 AM

I bet you loved being greeted by roosters and dogs! It must have been a culture shock coming from America! :):)

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2007 at 9:55 PM

Hi Nice page , I was thinking of Manilla last week, last there in 1977, about time I went back to see more of country. Thank you for visiting my NYC page.

• toni28's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 11:11 AM

I miss this place... kulang yong day stayed namin dito sana makabalik kami sa dec.

• cokes's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 7:26 PM

Parties hahahah in this state that I`m in I don`t think that is possible. I wish I can get some Zzzzz not possible here ;0(

• aishen1208's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2006 at 10:24 AM

hello..how many hours is the boat ride goin to camera island?... nice pix...hope to visit this soon...

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 4:09 PM

Peaceful and serene - that is a whale of an island!

high_d

“"The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see." ~ G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Pundaquit

Have you been to Pundaquit?

Latest Activity in Pundaquit