"Travelling Tribulations and Triumphs" foxie's Profile

Living in England

My husband and I moved to England in September 2004 and have been loving it ever since. An incredible city that truly feels like a little micro-cosm of every culture on the planet lives here. A wonderful way to feel in touch with the world. Even better? It's just a quick hop to the continent where we will probably never exhaust the opportunities to explore. Oh and the whole 25 days of vacation a year doesn't hurt either!

Our travel slowed down somewhat in 2007 while I studied law part time and continued working full-time (crazy? most likely). Still, we've managed a few trips to Paris and fairly regular walks in the stunning countryside.

Having recently finished (!!), however, I'm really looking forward to packing our bags more frequently.

Travel Log

My travel log can be accessed at: http://www.dragondream.org - a little out of date, I'm hoping to get it caught up in time for our next big adventure this summer!

Photos are updated much more regularly and can be found in my flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/oufoxy

Origins

I was born and raised in a teeny tiny town in NW Oklahoma, and how I got bitten by the travel bug, no one seems to be able to figure out.

I have travelled all over the United States, but somehow missed the "big" attractions, instead hitting little ones that just popped during family road trips. My dad is quite the military history buff, so if there's an aircraft carrier, battleship or museum anywhere in the Southern US, we've seen it. Unfortunately, I didn't absorb as much of that information as I should have growing up, which means I'm constantly looking up facts or tidbits I should know.

This also means that I am not adverse to really long car rides, and have a fondness for books on tape, silly games and NPR. Getting there is truly half the fun!

Our family motto was: "another Crouch adventure under our belt", and I intend to continue to amass adventures throughout my life.

The University Experience

I finished my last semester at the University of Oklahoma in December 2003, where I studied Russia and Eastern Europe as well as International Economics.

OU has quite a special place in my heart for a number of reasons:
First, it's where I met my future husband. He's an amazing man that shares my passion for the new and different and for seeing as much of this amazing globe as possible in our limited lifetimes.

Second, I found some incredible mentors here who have helped shape my professional and academic aspirations, as well as helped me to grow into a fuller and more complete person.

Third, it has given me many opportunities to travel (Study Abroad), encourage other students to do the same (I served as the primary advisor for the Russian exchange), and talk to people visiting from a variety of backgrounds and professions that help shaped my view of the world.

Fourth, I was able to do all this with minimal amount of alienation from my family. They are quite content to live their lives here and don't entirely comprehend my desire to hop the pond to newer and different places for extended periods of time. But because I always came back to OU, they were content to let me adventure and began to recognize this as not necessarily a bad or anti-american escapism. As my family is quite close, having them come to this realization has been especially meaningful to me, and I don't think it would have been possible had I attended a "better" out of state school

Fifth, I feel like I have received a damn fine undergraduate education. It took me from a not so ready background, put me in classrooms with teachers who were very interested in my personal success, challeneged me to become better, and laid the foundation for me to move forward with my life in a very full and meaningful way.

Not too shabby of a place!!

(photo taken by Kristen Bramlett, all rights reserved to her)

• Intro Updated Aug 23, 2011

• Sep 30, 2011 at 10:42 AM

May your birthday bring,You as much happiness,As you give to everyone,Who knows you ...

• traveloturc's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2007 at 12:26 AM

Happy birthday to you from Istanbul/Turkiye...I wish that you realize all your dreams good luck !!!))))

• 71stuman's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2004 at 2:38 AM

Hello and Happy Birthday from Australia May all your Travel Dreams and Wishes come true Take Care and Safe Travels

• joits's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2004 at 9:03 PM

i read on the forum's that u were moving to London! wow... that's great! congrats on your husband getting accepted into that school. good luck with the move too! you'll love London, its a great city!

• arv1's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2004 at 3:25 PM

Thanks for your comment! Especially about economics, no one had reassured me...i got worried then! Haha! You'll love it here!

• talmid's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2004 at 4:38 PM

Great start! Keep doing the good job. Regards!

• ahcoln's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2003 at 11:53 AM

Quick start on building your homepage. Wish you a pleasant trip to Singapore

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2003 at 8:16 PM

Hi Foxie and thanks for visiting my page! You'll have a wonderful honeymoon in Singapore. It's a good place to choose for a first visit to Asia (because most of it isn't really like Asia).

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2003 at 4:05 PM

Welcome to VT Chaundra!!! Fantastic start to your home page!!!!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
foxie's Profile Photo

foxie

“I wonder what's around that corner?”

Real Name