"DEATH MARCH" Province of Bataan by austinmax
Province of Bataan Travel Guide: 229 reviews and 981 photos
Bataan was established in 1754 by Governor General PEdro Manuel Arandia out of territories belonging to Pampanga and the corregimiento of Marivels which, at the time, included Maragondon in Cavite across the bay.
The province has had more than its share of significant historical events. In 1647 Dutch Naval Forces attempting to invade the country perpetrated the Abucay massacre in one of its towns. In the late 1700s, the dreaded Chinese pirate Limahong used Lusong point on the western side as the landing place to launch his conquest of Luzon. In the Philippine Revolution of 1896, Bataan joined the other provinces in Luzon which revolted against Spanish rule.
It was during World War II, however, that Bataan attained the notoriety that would find it a place in the annals of world history. Under heavy aircraft and artillery shelling from the invading Japanese forces, the beleaguered Filipino-american tropps valiantly defended this last bastion until the "Fall of Bataan" on April 9, 1942. abouth 80 000 Filipino and American soldiers were assembled afterwards in Mariveles and Bagac for the infamous "Death March" to Camp O´Donnel in Capas, Tarlac. Between 7000 to 10 000 men died en route to the concentration camp.
austinmax's Related Pages
Province of Bataan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bataan And Its Beauty"
- "History and Leisure"
- "Bagac, Bataan"
- "THE historical BATAAN,bataan and bataan..."
- "Bataan Matamis!"
- "Beautiful Bataan"
- "Anvaya Cove Resort in Bataan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Bataan
- Hotels in Province of Bataan
- Transportation in Province of Bataan
- Nightlife in Province of Bataan
- Restaurants in Province of Bataan
- Shopping in Province of Bataan
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Bataan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Bataan
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Province of Bataan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Bataan
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Cabo San Lucas Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Province of Laguna Intro, 4 reviews
- Todos Santos Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Seattle Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Province of Bataan Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Baguio City Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Johannesburg Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Midland 1 review, 1 photo
- Auburn Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
No friends yet.