"~ Wichita Falls, Texas ~" Wichita Falls by noidiotsplease

Wichita Falls Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 44 photos

Tracing the Red River

While I have been on I-40 heading east out of Amarillo to Oklahoma (a sparsely traveled ribbon of road in the wee hours of the morning), I have also continued southeast down US 287 in a trek that after passing through the blazing hot town of Childress, runs parallel to the Red River. The Red River serves as a large part of the Texas-Oklahoma border. At one point I saw what I think should have been the Red River, but instead looked like a dried-up river bed with Oklahoma on the other side looking a lot more verdant than the Texas trail that we were following.

Wichita Falls

Eventually, after traveling US 287 for more than 100 more miles, we arrived at the sizable city of Wichita Falls. Situated not too far south of the Oklahoma border but still too far Northwest to be considered part of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, Wichita Falls has its own urban downtown of mid-rise office buildings. We stayed in downtown Wichita Falls, I think it was at a Holidome, where we spent much of our free time enjoying the indoor pool. Apparently Wichita Falls does have actual waterfalls somewhere, we just didn’t attempt to search for them. A few years back I remember reading that Wichita Falls was voted by some magazine or organization as being the most “average” or “normal” city in America, based on the demographics of its population -- whatever that means.

Visit my TEXAS page.

• Last visit to Wichita Falls: Dec 1992
  • Intro Updated Aug 14, 2011

Comments

noidiotsplease

“Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:6 NLT ”

Badges & Stats in Wichita Falls

Have you been to Wichita Falls?

Latest Activity in Wichita Falls